RobotStudio event

Importing CAD fails - RS 6.03

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to import a .SLDASM archive (SolidWorks), and RS only takes few components from the whole thing. It's suppose that if I import the main SLDASM archive, the subordinate SLDASM and SLDPRT archives will appear on the RS but it doesn't.

Example:

Opening the main archive with eDrawings

Same archive with RS

No FAIL log, and for RS everything is OK.

Any idea? Need help please. Thanks

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

Comments

• graemepaulin
    Options

Have you tried using an interchange format like *.sat or *.step?

• daguilar
    Options

Have you tried using an interchange format like *.sat or *.step?

STEP files are not longer available for free in Robot Studio. I asked to engineering dept for a Sat file but they told me solidwork crashes when it tries to convert...

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

• Can engineering export each main component/machine to sat?

If Solidworks is crashing then there may be something in the file that is not quite right - hence RS not importing it correctly?

• daguilar
    Options

Can engineering export each main component/machine to sat?

If Solidworks is crashing then there may be something in the file that is not quite right - hence RS not importing it correctly?

They are actually splitting the whole cad in different small archives, as solids, but I think this is not the way. I mean, I have the SolidWorks license for RS and I was able to open, even edit, complete solidworks with no problems, and now with the 6.03 I have many of them. 

What I am not sure about, is if the software update matters. 

Anyway, why the eDrawings can open the SolidWorks perfectly and the RS not?

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

• Hi,

You can try checking the "Convert CAD geometry to single part" box in the import dialog. That will cause the legacy CAD converter to be used.

Regards,
    Johannes
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    RobotStudio Team, ABB Robotics
  • daguilar
    Options
    JWeiman said:
    Hi,

You can try checking the "Convert CAD geometry to single part" box in the import dialog. That will cause the legacy CAD converter to be used.

Regards,
    Johannes
    Hi,

I've just tried it, with the same result. It only imports few parts of the whole cad group...  I don't know what else do...

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

• daguilar
    Options
    Hi,

Another error importing a very simple Solid part.... Here is the log...

RobotStudio .NET exception: Error 20 converting 'E:\Proyectos\Teneris Bay City\Robot\CAD 3D\HRM\Raqueta.SLDASM'
    Request: Operation failed.
    Advice: Contact customer support.
    Diagnostics: Operation failed with unspecified error.
    ============================================
    Base exception: GeoException
    Error 20 converting 'E:\Proyectos\Teneris Bay City\Robot\CAD 3D\HRM\Raqueta.SLDASM'
    Request: Operation failed.
    Advice: Contact customer support.
    Diagnostics: Operation failed with unspecified error.
       en RobotStudio.Services.Geometry.ConverterService.OnError(SPAIopAcisError* error, String fileName, Boolean kasta)
       en RobotStudio.Services.Geometry.ConverterService.Import(String file, GraphicImportSettings settings, IProgressCallback progress)
       en RobotStudio.API.Internal.CadConverter.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<ImportAsync>b__1()
    --- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la ubicación anterior donde se produjo la excepción ---
       en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       en RobotStudio.API.Internal.CadConverter.<ImportAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
    --- Fin del seguimiento de la pila de la ubicación anterior donde se produjo la excepción ---
       en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       en RobotStudio.Services.GraphicConverters.GraphicConverterService.<ImportAsync>d__8.MoveNext()
       en System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
       en ABBInternal.StationLogic.ComponentServices.<ImportComponents>d__7.MoveNext()

Please, some help? Thanks.

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

• Are you running 64-bit RobotStudio? Please note that SolidWorks 2015 and later is only supported in 64-bit, not 32-bit.

Regards,
    Johannes
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
  • daguilar
    Options
    JWeiman said:
    Are you running 64-bit RobotStudio? Please note that SolidWorks 2015 and later is only supported in 64-bit, not 32-bit.

Regards,
    Johannes
    I only use 64bit version of the RS. 

Regards,

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

• daguilar
    Options
    JWeiman said:
    Are you running 64-bit RobotStudio? Please note that SolidWorks 2015 and later is only supported in 64-bit, not 32-bit.

Regards,
    Johannes
    By the way, we are using SolidWorks 2016. What I don't understand is the official ABB Manual says it supports SolidWorks V18-ST7???? 

Un saludokind regards,

Daniel Aguilar

Automation Engineering

• That looks like a typo. RS 6.03 should support SolidWorks 2016.
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer