RobotStudio event

Importing SolidWorks Assemblies

I'm trying to import a SolidWorks assembly but it keeps failing.  I've made sure the file is not read only and that the file type is SLDASM 

Comments

• I think *.sat is the only CAD type that can be imported without a CAD converter license.

• I have the CAD converter license, and I can import smaller CAD assemblies but not big assemblies. 

• This is the error I get

• Hi,
    Could you share/send me the file? In that case I can ask the vendor (Spatial) what is going wrong.

Regards,
    Johannes
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    RobotStudio Team, ABB Robotics
  • I had a very similar problem importing  a Solidworks assembly,  the solution (for me) was to check "convert CAD geometry to single part"
  • There was an error in the assembly which was preventing me from loading the CAD file.
  • Oh boy, you are doing it totally wrong.

You need to save your whole assembly as .SAT file and then try to import.

Also, your assembly in Solidworks may not import correctly in terms of orientation, because it has to have the same World origin orientation as Robotstudio (Z upwards, X forwards).

By default Solidworks has Y upwards instead of Z, so be sure to change that in Solidworks.

I have been working quite a lot with SW and RS, and I recommend you to separate your Assembly by Subassemblies that correspond to the different stations from your cell. So it's easier to make changes from Robotstudio to Solidworks and viceversa.