RobotStudio event

Connecting B&R PLC via Profinet?

Hi, I am having some issues setting up my IO with Robotstudio 6.08 and communicating with B&R hardware via Profinet. I have the bus connected to the robot controller via LAN 3, which I believe is configured to be part of the private robot network. I have imported the GDMSL files from the B&R website and attempted to connect via the Robotstudio IO configurator. I am unsure of how to connect to the PLC or assign it an IP address. When I scan the network no devices show up. On the bus I am using (the X20BC00E3) I am getting two LED status lights which are indicating that there is no connection to the Profinet Master, and that there is not a valid IP address assigned to the unit. If you have any ideas or help on how to proceed from here I would greatly appreciate it. 

Comments

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    In RS, click on the help tab on the left, click on additional resources, find Profinet configuration with IO configurator.
    Lee Justice
  • I have been following this guide but am stuck at a few places. Firstly, when it asks me to configure my IP settings in the IO configurator, how am I supposed to assign it a valid IP address? I'm guessing I don't just make one up but I also don't know how to get it assigned one from somewhere else. 

My second main problem which may be related to the first is that the bus is indicating no connection to a Profinet Master, and my googling has failed to help me determine how to connect these. If you have any ideas about either of these two specific issues that would be great. Thank you.
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    The IP address should have been determined by your controls design.  On the same network as PLC and not having a duplicated address.  Also, you must have assign the profinet name for the controller.
    Lee Justice
  • Ok so I have been looking at this some more and I think that I need to add my controller from the device catalog as my profinet controller. When I try to apply the changes RS gives me an error saying I have too many internal devices. Is it ok to delete the PN_internal device and then configure the other controller? Is this what I want to be doing?

Thank you for answering my beginner questions. 
  • Also, I am still very confused about the IP address. Do I just leave it 0.0.0.0? Do I just type in any address that isn't already taken and is in the same network as the PLC? How do I determine that?
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    The robot will probably need to be set up as a slave device, not master.  Configure the PN_Internal_Device with a valid IP address.  If you don't have a controls engineer to tell you the IP address, just choose one, and give it a profinet name.  Whoever is doing the PLC will need to set up the robot device the same.
    Lee Justice