RobotStudio event

Define work object frame for smooth surface that doesn't have points to be choosen

I have a problem of defining work object frame for my part in robotstudio. there is no points to be used ( to create frame with three targets or to use defaccframe). how could i create workobject frame for apart that doesn't have sharp edges to choose specific points?
thanks in advance

Answers

• You can do it using the modeling tools from robotstudio. You can draw some circles or lines and then create a coordinate system selecting a point from that circle or line.
    Then you can convert that to a workobject (right click, convert to workobject) and synchronize to rapid.

Another solution could be importing the 3D model from that part on another format. Step files are the best format, stl and vrml are the worst.
  • Hi Shell,
    Thank you for you reply. I could yes draw a circle or lines on the CAD part and create a work object frame on robotstudio (simulation) but how I could define the position of these targets on the real part  so that I could define the workobject on the real controller not on the virtual controller? as the circle or the line doesn't exist on the real part?
  • Can you make (draw) two or more intersecting lines on the circle (from the widest of the diameter) to pinpoint the center?
    Lee Justice
  • I am sorry, I don't understand your question and what I would do after the center of the circuit?

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Method 1, set a compass to the radius of the circle, make at least three arcs from different points around the circle.  Where they intersect is the center.  This point should be X1 for the workobject.  Teach X2 and Y1 as you see fit.  Method 2, make straight lines across from various points at the widest (diameter), where they intersect is the center.  Proceed as in method 1.
    Lee Justice
  • lemster68 said:
    Method 1, set a compass to the radius of the circle, make at least three arcs from different points around the circle.  Where they intersect is the center.  This point should be X1 for the workobject.  Teach X2 and Y1 as you see fit.  Method 2, make straight lines across from various points at the widest (diameter), where they intersect is the center.  Proceed as in method 1.
    I guess there is a misunderstanding, today if I have a part and there are no interesting points in the part to be used as a base for workobejct frame. all the work (trajectories and targets )  which is done on robotstudio on the CAD file how it could be transfered to the real station if the part installed not in the right position and I couldn't define the workobject frame (targets) on the real part? 
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Is the part held in a fixture which would have some distinct point to use for teaching?
    Lee Justice
  • DenisFR
    DenisFR ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    If I understand well your first question, you have to define wobj on part that don't have specific edge where to teach positions.
    Is it possible for you to make a template (gabarit in French) where you can add tip?
    Maybe you've found a solution since 2 years. ;)
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    He has been away for a while Denis.  :D
    Lee Justice
  • DenisFR
    DenisFR ✭✭✭
    Is it a bug?
    HossamElaarag France ✭

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Up until today, the thread conversation reads Sept. 2018 on the comment date.
    Lee Justice
  • DenisFR
    DenisFR ✭✭✭
    yes...

Forum Devs?
    There are numbers of issue in new version...
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    It did seem odd to me also, I remembered the conversation and it did not seem to be that long ago.
    Lee Justice
  • DenisFR said:
    Hello,
    If I understand well your first question, you have to define wobj on part that don't have specific edge where to teach positions.
    Is it possible for you to make a template (gabarit in French) where you can add tip?
    Maybe you've found a solution since 2 years. ;)
    Hello DenisFR, 
    it has been years since my last comment :smile:
    Today I am defining the trajectory direct on the real part itself as I couldn't make a template on the parts and I don't have the fixutre CAD file on robotstudio. 
  • lemster68 said:
    It did seem odd to me also, I remembered the conversation and it did not seem to be that long ago.
    it doesn't matter how long I have gone, I always rest on the memories :smiley:
  • lemster68 said:
    Is the part held in a fixture which would have some distinct point to use for teaching?
    Yes, it is but I don't have this fixture CAD file on Robotstudio. I guess the easiest way is to create direct the trajectory on the real part using teach pendant.