RobotStudio event

Online Documentation

Hello!

Please move back to the old "online documentation"! Before it was much easier to find the right manual, now it is nearly impossible and the search function is really bad!

Comments

• Dear Erik, thank you for your feedback. Apologies that the current search function is not meeting expectations. Unfortunately we had to step away from the 'DVD' for several obvious reasons and instead offer our customers access to ABB Library, containing much more information than a DVD that only contains documents related to the latest release. The back-draw is the large amount of available documents. We are definitely working on a better search engine and also on possibilities to filter via personal preferences.

For now it is correct that a search on just 'RobotStudio' will result in a large number of hits. Too many if you are only interested in Software products and a RobotStudio manual; here is a suggestion to improve and reduce the search result:

Select Category / Robotics / Software Products

Select only One Language

Select Document Kind - Instructions and Manuals

this will reduce the amount of searches dramatically, I hope this helps for now. Thanks to your feedback we are able to improve the experience for all Robotics users.

Best Regards / Rene Nispeling

• Is there any progress regarding the documentation? Right now, the library is incomplete compared to the DVD, and the search function is not fulfilling expectations.

I would like ABB to restore the previous online documentation (the DVD) while you are working on fixing the ABB library. The fact that I cannot find certain safety related documents is not acceptable in my opinion. For example, robot stopping distances, 3HAC048645 is available on the DVD but not in the library.
  • soup
    soup ✭✭✭
    ++1

Also, I don't understand why ABB does such a good job of hiding the HTML manuals, like: Instructions, Functions, and Datatypes.
  • ABB Library is nearly two months after this thread started not functional, go back to the DVD, we need the manuals...
  • AlexK
    AlexK ✭✭
    I have to agree, bring back the DVD until you have fixed the problems. The website when it comes to finding information has taken a dive, which is a shame as it used to be really good before the new "myABB" came into play.

Right now i have given up at finding any manuals at all, until recently we could at least use old links to the DVD but now that doesn't even work.
    Best regards
    Alexander Källberg
  • AlexK
    AlexK ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If i want a RAPID manual where do i go?
    Yes, it's available in Robotstudio, but as an example, where can i find a RAPID reference manual in pdf format now adays? I presume i should be able to. 

Working for a Partner company I used to be able to quickly find a manual i needed through the website and later the DVD. Since myABB i can't find but the most basic brochures for products and thats about it. The online DVD was the last working solution.

Best regards
    Alexander Källberg
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    I don't have "My ABB", I often go here:

https://library.abb.com/en/results

Or, in robotstudio, help, documentation.  Click on additional resources to bring up more stuff.
    Lee Justice
  • MikeEd
    MikeEd
    edited March 2019

Dear Erik, thank you for your feedback. Apologies that the current search function is not meeting expectations. Unfortunately we had to step away from the 'DVD' for several obvious reasons and instead offer our customers access to ABB Library, containing much more information than a DVD that only contains documents related to the latest release. The back-draw is the large amount of available documents. We are definitely working on a better search engine and also on possibilities to filter via personal preferences.

For now it is correct that a search on just 'RobotStudio' will result in a large number of hits. Too many if you are only interested in Software products and a RobotStudio manual; here is a suggestion to improve and reduce the search result:

Select Category / Robotics / Software Products

Select only One Language

Select Document Kind - Instructions and Manuals

this will reduce the amount of searches dramatically, I hope this helps for now. Thanks to your feedback we are able to improve the experience for all Robotics users.

Best Regards / Rene Nispeling

My strong suggestion is this needs to be sorted now! If it can't be sorted now, you need to put the online documentation back up online tomorrow. 

Do not forget plenty of us are quite happy using FANUC or Kuka robots! You'll already loosing sales

ABB's advantage has really only ever been the engineering tools and amazing documentation.  Hands down no contest I'll use Kuka or FANUC robots over ABB if either did 80% of the ABB's job on tools and documentation.
    1. Important note there, Kuka has SimPro now; which has significantly reduced ABB's prior advantage from RS.
    2. The one strong advantage left is documentation

In fact my most recent project kicking off, I've opted for Kuka because their robots have been better for while, and what has pushed me over the edge is that Kuka's average documentation that I can easily access; is far better than ABB's brilliant documentation that is now non-existent from my viewpoint.

Post edited by MikeEd on
  • Hello!

Soon 2 years after starting this thread it is still impossible to find a manual in the ABB Library, is this going to be fixed?
  • Maxim Riabichev
    edited October 2020
    Hej Erik!

Could you please be a little more specific - what manuals are you looking for that cannot be found?

So I've looked into this and it seems that there are manuals that are set as "PREMIUM", which do not show up in search results unless you have logged in.

You should have received an account for the ABB Library via your local ABB contact. Could you try searching for the manuals while being logged in and let me know if this helps?

As a general remark, I agree that the way the manuals are made available isn't ideal at the moment. I've taken steps to have this reviewed.
    Post edited by Maxim Riabichev on

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • When logged in it is also possible to download the entire package again, similar to the old DVD solution. There is normally one package per official release. Note that there are different packages for IRC5 and OmniCore.
  • I agree it's very difficult to find any manual in library.

For example I'm looking for Application manual Integrated Vision, (old one was 3HAC044251-001). Library returns 136 result in English, most of them not even related to the subject and none of them is application manual. Where do I find this manual?

• Hello PetrB,

Please see this thread I recently created.

Best regards,
    Maxim

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • My local rep just sent me link to this site, which contains all manuals, including downloadable version, same as old DVD.

User documentation:

Downloadable version IRC5: