RobotStudio event

Can't import CAD geometry

Options
Hi,

I am trying to import some parts and assemblies from Inventor (and Creo / Solidworks). I see lots of tutorials for this on youtube, but when I try I do not see the files in the explorer.
I am using RobotStudio 2021.1.2. I've tried both on company license and Student license, as I thought that was the issue. The manual says it should be possible.

Any ideas?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What are the file extensions?  It may be that you need a license for the converter.

Look in options, click on licensing
    Lee Justice

Answers

• AuxiliumD
    AuxiliumD
    edited June 2021
    Options
    lemster68 said:
    What are the file extensions?  It may be that you need a license for the converter.

Look in options, click on licensing
    File extensions are iam, prt, asm, and some more. It's weird because I have never needed a license for it before. I will check it out. I can't see no licenses for that either, I think it should be standard?
  • lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Options
    We usually have our designers convert the files to stp, step, for us to be able to load.
    Lee Justice
  • AuxiliumD
    Options
    lemster68 said:
    We usually have our designers convert the files to stp, step, for us to be able to load.
    Yeah, I would normally do that too. However I noticed how much more powerful it is to use the original files. Connectivity and update changes, also they come grouped. We have over 2000 parts in our assembly, and some need to be programmed into tools. I can't go through them as "dead geometry" as STEP so to say. 
  • graemepaulin
    Options
    STP (step) is the "native" RobotStudio CAD format, all other formats require a CAD Converter.
    These are an additional option, you select the one(s) you want to be able to use.
    The only exception to the above is an Authorized Value Provider RobotStudio license which includes all CAD convertors. 
  • AuxiliumD
    AuxiliumD
    edited June 2021
    Options
    STP (step) is the "native" RobotStudio CAD format, all other formats require a CAD Converter.
    These are an additional option, you select the one(s) you want to be able to use.
    The only exception to the above is an Authorized Value Provider RobotStudio license which includes all CAD convertors. 
    That's weird. How come it am able to import any file format in my RobotStudio 2019 edition from school, but not in the 2021? (It's the ABB files in both cases, no files altered, same license. Where do I select this option then?
  • graemepaulin
    edited June 2021
    Options
    It may be the school license also has all CAD convertors enabled as well - but I thought it was only the AVP license.
    Also I think the special free license during 2020 had all CAD convertors enabled,
  • AuxiliumD
    AuxiliumD
    edited June 2021
    Options
    It may be the school license also has all CAD convertors enabled as well - but I thought it was only the AVP license.
    Also I think the special free license during 2020 had all CAD convertors enabled,
    I understand. I recon I have to talk to ABB to solve this issue. 
    I recon it is not a good idea to set things up in an older version with the CAD-converter and import it. It would also lose a lot of the functionality.
  • neily04
    Options

ACIS (.sat) is the native CAD.  Step needs an optional convertor.
  • graemepaulin
    Options
    Yes sorry SAT is the native CAD system - sorry for the confusion
  • AuxiliumD
    Options
    Issue fixed, it was a licensing issue.