RobotStudio event

OPC SMART COMPONENT

Hi there,

Any help/support/assistance would be very much appreciated. I am tring to use the new smart component OPC. I am tring to connect and map IO from Codesys to Robot Stusio for the purpose of evaluating virtual commissioning with robot swtudio simulated systems.

I can connect to the OPC server running on Codesys Wincontrol soft PLC but I am anable to process any further. I see the connection status as connected within the smart component in the simulation setup page but I do not get any +/- option in which to select/map IO from the soft PLC over OPC. I have tried with UA Expert OPC client and all works fine. Therefore, I can only assume there challenge is at the RS end - perhaps an option not selected or a parameter not defined/configured. I have read the manual and with regret I am not closer to mapping after some significant time trying various things.

* worth noting, I am not using a security option as the OPC client in RS does not seem to connect with the tick box selected and I assume as its a tick box then this is optional...?

I also have no idea regarding the import/export configuration files, on what I am supposed to so. As I said I have read the manual but still quite confused.

Any help woild be greatly appreciated as we are supper keen to connect the PLC to RS and try some exciting new virtual commisioning featues that have been realsed in RS.

Thank you in advance. Darren

Comments

• Hello.

You need to setup the signal configuration as described in the manual (Robotstudio manual, chapter: Virtual commissioning using the OPC UA Client Smart Component)

The simplest way to do this is to right-click the OPC UA component and click Export configuration. This will give you an empty configuration template.

In the above mentioned manual there is information about what input is expected for the various data fields. A tool such as UA Expert can be used to brows the UA server you are connected to and find the necessary information about the signals(nodes) you wish to add to the signal configuration.

When you are done editing the signal configuration file, save it and import the configuration (right-click the OPC UA component and click import)

If done correctly, you will now se signals as I/O properties on the OPC UA component in Robotstudio, if nothing shows, please look in the Robotstudio output window and read the error messages as there is probably something wrong with the signal configuration.

Nils Olofsson
    PC Software Support Engineer

• Nils, Many thanks for your help. I suspecxted this oculd be the case but thought the client would have a built in OPC browser to find and map the signals. Anyhow, thank you so much for the clarification and I will have a go at some manual mapping in the config files and see how I get on.

Big thank you again for the speedy support. All the best. Darren.
  • Nils, Many thanks for your help. I suspecxted this oculd be the case but thought the client would have a built in OPC browser to find and map the signals. Anyhow, thank you so much for the clarification and I will have a go at some manual mapping in the config files and see how I get on.

Big thank you again for the speedy support. All the best. Darren.
    The latest version of RS seem to have a built in OPC browser now!
  • That is correct. 
    In the latest version there is now a UI to connect signals

Nils Olofsson
    PC Software Support Engineer

• Hi Darren,

Did you reach a solution? I'm also trying to connect CoDeSys Control Win V3 to RS without any luck.

Best,

Martin