RobotStudio event

Smart component OPC UA client with CoDeSys Control Win V3

Hi,

I'm trying to connect RS OPC UA smart component to the OPC UA server established by the CoDeSys SoftPLC. It won't connect properly when the Secure connection is checked (image to the left). If this option is not checked the connection seems to be established but I cannot browse the server, pressing "configure", and instead get an error, see image to the right.

Any ideas on what to try?

Best regards,

Martin

Comments

• Hello Martin,

Are you able to connect to the OPC UA Server securely via any other client?

I'm curious why the secure connection failed and unfortunately the SC doesn't provide enough information to investigate..

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually it would be preferred to usa a non-secure connection as the evaluation is for an university course where it would be beneficial to keep the complexity in this area down; as you need to download and configure extra stuff on top of CoDeSys to establish the secure connection and render certificates for the OPC UA server.

I've read chapter 7 in the manual and do wonder if it is possible to browse the namespace of the server when not using a secure connection?

What I've done so far is simply to activate the OPC UA server (without certificates) with one boolean variable (Sensor1). Then I've started a RobotStudio cell with a IRB 140 + controller. I created a digital input signal (Sensor1) in the controller that I wish to pair with the OPC UA server.

Grateful for any advice.

Best,

Martin
  • Hello Martin,

I have tried to use OPC UA SC together with ABB IoT Gateway (OPC UA Server) and was able to connect both with and without the secure connection checkbox checked, without any issues.

Unfortunately I don't have access to CoDeSys SoftPLC software.

My recommendation is to contact your local ABB and provide them with the RobotStudio report that shows the exception you received via the OPC UA SC, and then we'll ask R&D to take a look at it.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Even when connected using security certificates the problem persist. Will follow your advice.

Thank you.
  • Small update. Did get the connection to work between RS and the CoDeSys OPC UA server mentioned by using the 'import configuration' option. Can send and recieve signals now but still not browse the server namespace.

Best, M