RobotStudio event

PCSDK or RWS

We have been using the SDK in our PC applications for a long time, and now we are discussing how to move forward when upgrading for OmniCore systems. 

I was in contact with a few ppl at ABB some 2 years ago, they claimed the SDK would not be supported for more than a couple of years. However, it seems new updates are still being released, so Im curious: Will there be long time support for the PCSDK?

I've been toying around with the RWS and it is pretty nice, it covers all we need it for and then some! 

Apart from the obvious advantages; the RWS does not seem to need any extra controller options such as PC Interface (please correct me if I'm wrong here, I only used it with a VC so far), and not needing to rebuild the application or the wrapper library when the controller RobotWare is upgraded. 

I need a hint which way to go for the long run, stick with the PCSDK or switch to the RWS (we are leaning towards the latter at this point)?

On a side note, the release notes or the SDK documentation say nothing about the .Net version - is .Net6 supported or is it still 4.x? (We are still using the 6.08 SDK for most applications)

Regards, Andreas

Comments

• Hello Andreas,

I'd suggest to use RWS as it is more future proof than PC SDK.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Ok, almost what I wanted to hear :smile: , thank you for the input!
  • Is there any plans on moving PCSDK from .net framework to a standard that supports cross platform?

Systemintegrator - Web / C# / Rapid / Robotstudio

If I helped, please press Vote Up  :smile:
  • No not at this time.

Maxim Riabichev
  • @Maxim Riabichev
    Is it true that no extra option is needed for RWS on a RW7 controller? Seems like everything needs options in rw7…

A customer of mine has used PCSDK between rw6 robots and their production system in the past, and now they want to connect their new omnicore controller in the same way. Is it even possible?
    -----------------
    David
    Swedish freelance ABB robot programmer
  • I have used pcsdk apps designed for RW 6 in RW 7 without / with minor adjustment.

The 2 issues I can remember right now is the different module extensions (.mod / .modx)
    Just some minor code changes. 

And the differences between Default User privileges. I had to create a new user in the omnicore for remote start and stuff like that. 

Pcsdk is a complete solutions that's always updated with new robotware releases. Maintained by ABB. By going the RWS route you have to do the API client, sessions and subscription handling and everything else by yourself. If something breaks between RW releases it's your problem. Just alot of work. Pcsdk is worth the cost imo. Just a shame it's stuck in .Net framework as other automation manufacturers are upgrading to .Net core.

• Hej David and Tompan,

"Is it true that no extra option is needed for RWS on a RW7 controller? Seems like everything needs options in rw7…"
    All the requirements for using RWS are stated in the RWS manual. To my knowledge there's no requirement for any RobotWare options.

"A customer of mine has used PCSDK between rw6 robots and their production system in the past, and now they want to connect their new omnicore controller in the same way. Is it even possible?"
    PC SDK works with RW6 and 7, but like Tompan said, you might need to adjust your RW6 code to RW7. Again, refer to the manual to identify the differences.

"If something breaks between RW releases it's your problem."
    This isn't entirely true. 
    ABB has a goal not to break functionality with new releases. Since RWS is also maintained by ABB, if you find that your RWS code doesn't work because of an upgrade, please report this to your local ABB and it will be investigated and fixed. 

Maxim Riabichev
  • Well, I had a fine working client for RWS 1 and then it was basically obsolete in a day after the release of RWS 2.
    Do you mean it's possible to report this as an issue and ABB will make my client work this RWS 2?

What's to say ABB doesn't do the same move when releasing  RW 7.10 or something, releases RWS 2.5 or RWS 3?

There was no problem big problems going from RW 6 to 7 with pcsdk.
    But doing the same with RWS you either have to rewrite the whole client (cookies, auth, urls, responses) or just decide your client will die with IRC5. 

Also if we are discussing if RWS requires a option I can say I have run apps on RW6-RWS without
    pc-interface and it works.
    The same is true for PCSDK, you can run your apps without a option if you read the manual. 

The limitation is that you can only use the service port and not set a WAN ip on the robot.
    This limitation is true for both PCSDK and RWS. 
    So if you want to connect to multiple robots, or not run a standalone client next to the robotcontroller you still need the option to set a IP address and connect multiple controllers to a network. 

• Ok, I think pcsdk will be the way forward. But they want to connect the robot on their factory network so service port won’t work.

All their previous robot cells have pc interface but i I can’t find the pc interface option in RW7.

Only one I see is ”RobotStudio connect 3119-1” which enables wan port connection för Robotstudio 🤔

-----------------
    David
  • graemepaulin
    edited April 2022
    According to the information I can find for RobotWare 7 (Omnicore):
    • PC SDK over network needs 3119-1 RobotStudio Connect option.
    • RobotStudio connection over network needs 3119-1 RobotStudio Connect option
    • RobAPI over network needs 3119-1 RobotStudio Connect option.

I have updated this post on 11-04-2022 with the latest information that Maxim has found out (re his post below), to avoid confusion.
    Post edited by graemepaulin on
  • My question remains then I guess.

What option do you need to run a pcsdk application on WAN port on an omnicore controller? 

Do you know @Maxim Riabichev? I’ve scrolled through a lot of omnicore manuals but no luck.
    -----------------
    David
  • Right, so I've done some digging and as it turns out, the RobotStudio Connect option is required for PC SDK to function with OmniCore controllers.

Unfortunately, this requirement doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. I will try to make that happen.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Thanks Maxim!
    -----------------
    David
  • Actually that was an interesting question, are there any plans to upgrade the PCSDK to .Net Core/.Net6? 
  • No, there are no plans to upgrade functionality of PC SDK at this time.

Maxim Riabichev
  • This was a great question.  I also agree with Tompanhuhu and Anor, upgrading PC SDK to .Net Core or .Net would be a great idea.  Correct me if I am wrong, but this would allow you to write application that run on Mac's, iPad, iPhone to communicate with the controllers?