RobotStudio event

Warning--Windows XP Professional Users [WebWare Server]

Do not install the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Beta release that is currently available if you are running WebWare Server or Interlink on an XP PC.

This Service Pack contains significant changes to the security settings for many Windows components, and WebWare Server/Interlink will stop working unless certain configuration settings are changed after the Service Pack is installed.

Watch this space for documentation that describes the necessary changes. The Service Pack 2 maintenance release is scheduled for "mid 2004".

Russell Drown

Comments

• Service Pack 2 adds alot of functions which should make your internet activities safer. SP2 comes with a firewall, and by default it is enabled. Find the Security Center and disable the firewall, i think this does the trick...

<@Logan&gt; I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
    <Beeth> And your point is?
    <@Logan&gt; I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
  • You are correct that the firewall being enabled is one element of the changes, but there are also new security settings for DCOM and RPC that must be modified.

We have done considerable investigation into the changes needed, but will not publish documentation until after the final version of the Service Pack is released. The investigation was nearly complete for the beta release, then the release of Release Candidate 1 included modifications that broke the known settings changes.

We request that WebWare users refrain from installing any version of SP2 until a fixed content release is available and we release the change documentation.

Russell Drown
  • image We got customers, who ask for an upgrade of WebwareSDK to Version 3.2.

They like to use this then on Windows XP. Is it working when using only SP 1 of XP? Is the upcoming fix free of charge when ordering now?

Best regards

Kevin

kevin.behnisch38076,6508796296
  • Hello Kevin,

Windows XP is not "officially" a supported platform according to the documentation, but the releases after 3.0 have all been developed and built on an XP machine.

I use the SDK components every day with XP SP1 and have experienced no problems unique to XP, so I believe that your customers can do the same.

As far as the changes that will be necessary to make WebWare products compatible with XP SP2, step-by-step instructions will be released to assist users with the migration once the XP SP2 is released. There will be no charge for any of this information.

FYI, the changes will primarily affect WebWare Server, but all WebWare products will be compatability tested.

Russell Drown
  • An update for the latest release:

WebWare SDK 4.5 supports XP SP2
    WebWare Server 4.5 Data collector supports XP SP2
    WebWare Server 4.5 Server does NOT support XP SP2

Configuration of security settings is required on XP SP2

/Martin Lundh
    Product manager
    ABB Robotics
  • Now WebWare Server 4.6 and WebWare SDK 4.6 support XP SP2
    /Martin Lundh
    Product manager