RobotStudio event

Snap Target Frame to Surface

Options
Is there a function in 5.06 that allows for creating a target that is tangent/normal/flush to a curve/surface? Something similar to the Snap to Surface ability in IGRIP? Will this be an option in future upgrades?
Lisa Cardon
Saving the world from the scum of the universe.

Comments

• Hi Lisa,

There is a function "Set normal to Surface" that allows you to orient any target/frame to be normal to any given surface.

The "Create Path from Curve" function also have similar features when dealing with curves/surfaces. It will create targets along a curve and orient targets to be normal to surrounding surfaces if needed. There are also possibilites to do some other custom settings.

I hope this answer gives you some help!

Kind Regards
    Fredrik

Fredrik Syr?n
    Program Manager
    ABB Automation Technologies
  • DLcygnet
    Options

Error message: Part has no underlying geometry.

The part is a jupiter file and comes in with no lines/curves that can be used for creating paths from curves. And it seems it doesn't have any surface geometry that can be used either.  I've had this problem since 3.2. I can only seem to get help when using .sat files.

Lisa Cardon
  • Anders S
    Options

A jupiter file has only graphical information, no geometry information.To use the functions Fredrik described you need a CAD file with geometry information (solids or surfaces).

RobotStudio can import the following CAD formats with geometry information: SAT,iges,step,vdafs,Catia (V4 and V5), ProE and Inventor files. SAT comes with the RobotStudio license. The other formats requires a special license (one license for each format).

Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • DLcygnet
    Options

We created some SAT files and some iges files from the Catia V5 model. When I tried to set everything normal to the surface the frames all point in the wrong random direction depending on where they are located on the part. In some sections they are uniformly wrong (about 30 degrees off of normal) and in others it's just random.

These files were created by importing V5 models into IGRIP and saving them as the "correct" file type.

Lisa Cardon
  • Anders S
    Options
    Have you tried to import the catia files directly into RobotStudio? Maybe something goes wrong when you convert them in Igrip. If you don't have the Catia Import option can you e-mail a file to me so will I make a test.

E-mail: anders.spaak@se.abb.com
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • DLcygnet
    Options

I saved the files in Catia as iges files and imported those directly. The panel gets fatter in the process and some curves don't come through. Unfortunately, we were sent the Catia V4 converter and not the V5 converter that everybody switched to for the 787 project so we can't bring catproducts in.

I'm not sure if I can e-mail these files for proprietary reasons. Consulting on the matter as we speak.

Lisa Cardon