RobotStudio event

import geometry WRL format

Options

When we import a geometry the USC of the part is not placed right.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The part is placed with his Centre in the zero position of the world therefore the part is placed turned. How do we modify the UCS of the geometry?

We want that the UCS be placed on a corner and not in the centre of the geometry

Below an example of a geometry in WRL format

2006-06-27_140822_BLOKJE.zip

Comments

• Hello Barry,

You can modify the origin of a part by using the "Set Local Origin" command in Modeling Mode.

regards,
    Johannes

Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics
  • Barry
    Options

Hello Johannes,

I can't modify the origin of the part.

The error is:Failed to change the local origin.

Is there something wrong with the wrl Cad file?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

• I'm sorry, "Set local origin" doesn't work for non-CAD parts (e.g. vrml, stl, jt). This will be fixed in a future release.

As a workaround, you could position the part as you desire and then move it into a component group. You can then use the component group as you would the part.

regards,
    Johannes

Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics
  • Barry
    Options

that isn't what I'm looking for. in that way we must reposition every part that we load in robotstudio.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The strange of this is that when we give the part an origin in cad, and  we load the part in robotstudio the origin is moved from the original place to the centre of the part.

Is that the way of a WRL file, that the origin is placed in the centre?

Is it perhaps better to use an other type of file?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

• Barry,

I think the problem might be that the origin isn't taken into account when you export to wrl from your CAD program?
    If you open your attached wrl file in Notepad, you can see that it has no transform specified. So there is really no way that RS could treat it differently than it does.

If your CAD program can export to another supported format such as SAT, IGES or STEP you could try that.

regards,
    Johannes

Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics
  • Barry
    Options

hello Johannes,

it's working Ok nowimage.

We save the file as A step file, and then we use the cad converter of ABB to convert the file to SAT.

Thanks,

Barry

• daniel72
    daniel72
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm sorry, "Set local origin" doesn't work for non-CAD parts (e.g. vrml, stl, jt). This will be fixed in a future release.

Problem still exists with .stl Files. ?

But workaround with component group works for me.