RobotStudio event

working on a school project, need help

Options
Hello I am new to all this so please bare with me :)

We have an ABB robot in our faculty, IRB 1200 to be precise, it is close to a CNC machine and my professor had an idea to create a safety parameter around the robot, SafeMove came to mind but I know that IRB 1200 does not support SafeMove, atleast the one we have.. I already created a station in RobotStudio, with the exact same robot, tool used on the robot and the CNC machine, with the purpose of being a simulation. I went through the application manual on how to configure SafeMove, yet I don't know how to run or test what I've configured..

But nontheless I'm wondering of an alternative, since our faculty probably will not upgrade our current system with SafeMove.

I am thinking of this..To create a safety parameter around the robot cell using light curtains or line sensors, which can be wired on the control panel on the backside of the robot (am I right here?). If possible, I would read the triggering of the sensors via RAPID (is there a line of code that enables me to do so?), while the robot is in a continous cycle of motion, there would be an IF() statement inside the code there, which when set to true (triggering of the sensors?) would stop the motion of the robot.

I hope I made some sense in all of this, I'm just experimenting a bit, trying to think outside the box with what is possible to be achieved, I am thankful in advance to any help and answers you can provide me with.

Cheers,
Anton

Comments

• graemepaulin
    Options

To be safety compliant you would need to hard wire the safety sensor(s) into the controller safety board (comes form the factory with jumpers in all the different connectors E-stop, Auto-stop, general stop, etc).

Depending on the safety sensor you will probably need a safety relay between it and the controller safety board.

• anmataj
    Options
    thank you graemepaulin, is it possible to read the values of digital inputs and outputs in RAPID?
  • graemepaulin
    Options

Yes you can read the signal state and perform logic statements also.

The RAPID overview manual is a good place to start for information on this.