RobotStudio event

What is the diference between DeviceNet Lean and DeviceNet?

Hi, I´m new in RobotStudio and I trying to configure a DeviceNet network to connecting a ControlLogix 1756 PLC of AB (Master) with an IRC5 controller to command an IRB120.
So the question is what is the difference between DeviceNet Lean and DeviceNet because I don´t know which of this option select in the configurations in the RobotStudio software?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks, j_proulx! The robot and the controller are in the university, and they have a couple of years so the option I have is the DeviceNet Lean.

Have you any idea how to map the analogs I/O in RobotStudio to transmit data between the robot and the PLC of Allen Bradley? 
  • What other options does the controller have for communication? Ethernet IP? What other hardware analog IO card? If you Make a backup of the controller it will create a folder. In the folder will be another folder named BACKINFO. In that folder will be a file named backinfo.txt. Open with WordPad. It will have a listing of the options purchased with that controller.
  • I´m sorry but I don´t have a backup right now, look this pictures of the unit type and the unit parameters. 
    What I want to do its map several analogs I/O to transmit information between the PLC and Robot, if you look at the pictures you will see the Unit U1756_DNB. This is the DeviceNet scanner card in the PLC chassis, which has an array of 124 DINT (32bits) in the input and 123 in the output.
    So I want is a specific signal of the robot controller is stored in a specific DINT in the PLC. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
  • Unfortunately, From what I see, you do not have the hardware to be a slave to a PLC. You will need to obtain 2 pieces of hardware and a new software key from ABB to be a DeviceNet slave to your PLC. 970-1 Serial Comm adapter and 840-4 DeviceNet Slave only, Anybus card. You will need a new software key to unlock the option. 

To see if you have any other possibilities, in Robot Studio, go to the Controller Tab, There is a Properties Icon in the Configuration Section. Controller Properties/ System Properties/Control Module/ Options. See attached.
  • Yes, I now that, but I configured the PLC like a slave because I can´t obtain the hardware. So this way the robot controller its the master and the plc the slave.
    Is not the most conventional but it is what we can do with the hardware available at the moment.

But I don´t know how to map de signals to send for example a position of a servo to the robot.
  • Attached is the Manual for DeviceNet Lean. See pages 31 - 33. Try to use the section "Workflow - Automatic configuration" to get the information to define the proper entries into the Unit Type for the PLC as Slave. You need to match the Byte sizes of the IO tables in the robot controller and your PLC. Then you could configure your bit IO signals for the PLC Unit in the IRC5. Don't know if it will work. The Devicenet Lean was very finicky in it's operation.