Design IRB 460 for drilling purposes

I have a question about the IRB 460 robot. I know this robot is intended as a palletizing robot, but I want to use this robot for drilling purposes (I already have the robot, so suggesting that I should use another robot for drilling purposes won't help me).

In the product specification for this robot, I can find the max load and max moment of inertia, but I suppose that this max load only acts downwards. Suppose I put a spindle with a drill on the flange, how can I know the max force that the robot can "push" downwards? With this force I mean the cutting force of a drill bit that works downwards on a material.

I thought at first that this force could be calculated like the following: the max load is 110 kg, which means the max force the robot can lift is around 1080 N, so I suppose that this is also the max force the robot can push downwards, but is this correct?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Set up a compression force experiment with a load cell. 

I am not a mechanical engineer, still I suspect you will find the 460 will issue errors related to torque at different compression values depending the tool Z value & on how close to the base of the manipulator the test occurs.