RobotStudio event

2020.2 Bugs

Bobyjack
Bobyjack
edited September 2020 in RobotStudio
Hi,

I would like to report two bugs in 2020.2 Version 20.2.9116.0
  • The first issue was existing in 2020.1 too. If you close a station the program does not terminate the virtual controller. It keeps you from opening a Pack&Go after re-lunching the software because of write protected folders. The workaround is to open and close several times the software until it detects the running virtual controller, than it is possible to terminate it:
  • The second issue is the speed of the RAPID editor. There is a huge lag (almost a sec) when I type in the editor. This lag does not occur in any other tab of the program. This issue was not present before 2020.2, but it is very frustrating.
The PC (Lenovo P53) I am using is brand new and with quite fancy configuration and has the latest upgrades (Windows 10, version 2004).

Let me know what to try to solve my issues if these problems only occurs at me. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Hello there,

In regards to the first issue, you can via the Task Manager find the process called ABB Virtual RobotController (RobVC.exe) and close it. Sometimes this process is left running after closing RobotStudio, I have noticed as well. 

In regards to the second issue, I have tried to reproduce it on my end, but have been unable to do so. The Rapid-editor works as it is supposed to. I don't dare to guess why you're experiencing this lag.

In regards to both issues, please contact your local ABB office (https://new.abb.com/contact-centers) if you feel that you would like to receive help with troubleshooting them more thoroughly.

Thanks!

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Hi Maxim,

First of all, thanks for the fast reply!

Regarding the first issue in my case the "sometimes" is more like "always". Sure I can kill manually RobVC.exe, but it would be nice to solve this small issue in a later version.

I tested the second issue. What I found is the more code I have in a certain module, the more lag I have when I type. If I create an empty module in the exact same system I can type with normal speed only 
    in that certain empty module. Check the sort video attached showing how the speed of backspacing is different in the two module.

I would stay in contact this way because the local support is not very responsive in bug related topics at least in my case.

Thanks!
  • Hello Bobyjack,

Unfortunately, I am unable to continue and troubleshoot this issue with you via the user forums. 

We have procedures in place and the best route for you would be to get in touch with local ABB and ask them for assistance.

Have a nice day!

Maxim Riabichev
  • neily04
    neily04
    edited September 2020
    robotstudio.exe.config can be edited to automatically close any running virtual controllers at startup.

While this isn't a fix it will help.
  • Hi neily04,

Can you let me know how to do it?

Thanks!
  • You can find the find the fine in this location - C:\Program Files (x86)\ABB\RobotStudio 2020\Bin\RobotStudio.Installer.exe.config

Line #33 tells you what to do which is to uncomment line #34.

• Hi,

It was "RobotStudio.exe.config"  instead of "RobotStudio.Installer.exe.config" but anyway it was a great tip, looks like it solved my problem. Thanks a lot!

Any experience with the second slow typing in RAPID Editor issue?
  • Oh sorry, copy and paste error.

Nothing for the Rapid editor problem sorry, works fine for me.
  • Hello @Bobyjack

I've been able to reproduce the issue with the slow typing speed in the RAPID editor.

A report to R&D has been created regarding this issue.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Hi Maxim,

This is really great news! I hope it gets resolved in a close update.

Thanks!
  • Hi Maxim,

I updated to 2020.3, and the editor behaves still slow. I did not find any mention about it in the existing limitation section. Do you maybe have a temporary fix for this issue? It is very unpleasant to use the software in this condition.

Thanks!
  • Hello Bobyjack,

I'll try to push this issue. Hopefully, it can be resolved for 2020.4 which is due to be released within the next 10 days.

Unfortunately, the only workaround I can come up with in the meanwhile is to break up modules into smaller ones.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Hi Maxim,

Thank you for the great news!
  • Hi Maxim,

Unfortunately 2020.4 did not solve it.
  • Hello Bobyjack,

I've received word that this issue has been resolved in RobotStudio version 2021.1

Maxim Riabichev
  • Hello Maxim,
    When will RS 2021.1 be released?
  • The preliminary date is 2021-03-01.

Maxim Riabichev
  • Hi Maxim,

Thank you for the information!
  • Hi Maxim,

Seems like the new version 2021.1 solved the issue. Thank you for the contribution!