RobotStudio event

License install problem with 5.09 upgrade

Options
Hi,

I have upgraded the RobotStudio standalone installation on my Vista workstation to 5.09 but am getting an error message when starting the program again after upgrading:

No valid application license (Error code 80040212).
Do you want to launch the License Key Request Wizard to obtain a valid license?

I have already run both the License Key Request Wizard and the License Key Installation Wizard successfully, and the license status is displayed as "Verified, OK" in the Software Product Administrator. My previous version (5.08) installed the license without problems.

I have tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling from the 5.09 CD image, with no results. Any information on the error code and/or suggestions for resolving the issue would be most appreciated!

Thanks & best regards,
Thomas  

Comments

• Hello Thomas,

That error code simply means that RS cannot find the license key. I suggest you contact softwarefactory_support(at)se.abb.com to get help.

(Just a thought: what happens if you right-click RS and select "Run as administrator"?)

regards,
    Johannes

Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics

• [QUOTE=Johannes Weiman]
    (Just a thought: what happens if you right-click RS and select "Run as administrator"?)

[/QUOTE]

Hey, cool, that did the trick! Now it's running fine, and I'm not even getting any trouble launching the VC for the first time as I had with the previous installation.

Thanks J!

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi Thomas!

I'm glad that Johannes was able to help you with RS.

I would like you to help me analyse the problem by following the instruction in the attached document.

2007-07-05_092205_VistaUpgradeProblem_Analysis.zip

My hypothesis is that the problem is due to RS 5.08 was not fully Vista enabled. The license file for RS 5.08 probably resides in the so-called 'Virtual Store' due to limited Vista support for RS 5.08. RS 5.08 was able to find the file and worked. However the SPA did not find the license since it was looking the the 'regular' place which is 'Common Files'/... Probably you did not notice since there was no need for you to troubleshoot the 5.08-license (my guess). When you upgraded to RS 5.09 which is Vista enabled, then the 5.09-license file was stored in the correct place, i.e. 'Common Files'/... Since you already have a 5.08-license file in the 'Virtual Store', RS 5.09 tries to use that one instead of the 'Common Files'-version. The SPA, on the contrary, always looks in 'Common Files'. But when running RS as admin, then the 'Common Files'-version will be used, i.e. the 5.09 license file.

The potential solution to this problem is to delete (or rename) the lservrc file in the 'Virtual Store' in order to prevent RS from finding it. Please start with renaming the file in the 'Virtual Store' in order to be able to return to the original state in case my hypothesis is not correct.

Kind regards,

Henrik

Henrik Berlin
    ABB