RobotStudio event

What must listen on port # 5514

Options
Hello,

I am developing an application that controls ABB robot using by PC SDK.

I can can connect to local controllers(virtual) those are running on RS installed same PC with the application I mentioned above.
But when I try to connect the same set of controllers(just copy the same rspag file to another PC and run it) running another PC in the same subnet, I cannot make it.

I checked ping packet can be sent/received, and the essential services are running well such as  RobComCtrlServer, RobNetScanHost.

Turning off the windows firewall does not give any effect.

Judging by 'netstat -an' only 5512, 5513 port is being opened, not 5514, 5515.

When I capture the packet using wireshark, I could see PC application keeps trying send something on port #5514 and the PC the virtual controllers are running on it returns ICMP 89(port unreachable).

After having struggle almost 8 hours for this, I start wondering is it possible to connect to the virtual controllers over the network.
I saw some comment on manual which says I can connect VC over the network while some guys on this forum say I cannot.

Here is a piece of code I tried.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            this.scanner = new NetworkScanner();
            System.Net.IPAddress ipAddress;
            try
            {
                ipAddress = System.Net.IPAddress.Parse("x.x.x.x");
                NetworkScanner.AddRemoteController(ipAddress);
            }
            catch (FormatException ex)
            {
            }
            this.scanner.Scan();

this.networkwatcher = new NetworkWatcher(scanner.Controllers); //<==== the count of contollers is zero

this.networkwatcher.Found += new EventHandler<NetworkWatcherEventArgs>(HandleFoundEvent);
            this.networkwatcher.Lost += new EventHandler<NetworkWatcherEventArgs>(HandleLostEvent);
            this.networkwatcher.EnableRaisingEvents = true;
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Hi Kunouk,

connecting to a Virtual Controller on one PC from another PC is not supported. What you have seen somewhere on the forum is that there is a setting in a Net Scan configuration XML file that appears to make it work. It does to some extent so you may get happy at first but there are lots of features in PC SDK which will not work. There is a big risk that you waste your time :| by following this path.

I have an idea that I need help from a colleague to verify and that is to use Robot Web Services instead of PC SDK. It uses Apples Bonjour protocol for discovery and as soon as you know the IP-address you can connect to the controllers port (80/8080?) and make HTTP calls.

However there are some steps you need to do to make the VCs discoverable by Bonjour and I've just read about it never done it myself. I'll try to find some information if this can be an interesting alternative.

Has your use case something to do with Virtual Commissioning?

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • You can have a look at Robot Web Services here:

http://developercenter.robotstudio.com/Index.aspx?DevCenter=Robot_Web_Services&OpenDocument&Url=html/index.html

Search for "discovery" on this page.

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • Kunouk_Kim
    Options

You can have a look at Robot Web Services here:

http://developercenter.robotstudio.com/Index.aspx?DevCenter=Robot_Web_Services&OpenDocument&Url=html/index.html

Search for "discovery" on this page.

Thank you for your kind answer Niklas, and I`m sorry for my late response.

I`m about giving up using VC for testing on my project.
    Actually this is not essential function for my project but it would be very convenience and safer for developing some using PCSDK. (As you know applying safe-unproven code to real robot may cause many problems) 

Anyway, I`m very glad to listen the fact that VC cannot be connected via network, and you saved my days by letting me know this.

Unfortunately I cannot use WebService bacause of the lack of functionality compare to the functionality of PCSDK. (I`m trying to use full-set of function PCSDK has in it)

Thank you very much for your support and developing wonderful software. 
  • Crux
    Options
    Hello Kunok
    Are you trying to interconnect two controllers (virtual ones) passing through your local area network ?
    What is the purpose? I am interested :smile:
    Depending on what you want to do, you could be able to find a solution for your problem using Rapid socketing features