RobotStudio event

File copying [WebWare Server]

Hello outthere

I have built a backup software which can make backup locally on a robot and copy the files to PC by S4FileCopy and directory recursion. My problem is the copying process halts sometime. It is unpredicable when it happens but it happens often. If the process halts, it will never resume. When I test my application upon one in-house robot, the application is stable. If I unplug the net when copying and put it back again, the copying resumes.

It there anyone who have experienced similiar problem or know what is wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• What model robot controller & Baseware version are you using?
    Russell Drown
  • The robot where the application is stable runs RAP version 990506-0930.

The robots have just got a factoryware update.

I think the problem is not in S4FileCopy but S4Dir which I use to gather file information is a specific directory before copying. You have discussed about the issue of error information when using DevInfo. Could it be that there is a bug in S4Dir as well?

The robots which make troubles are one older robot and two of the newest ones. I will try to find their BaseWare versions.
  • What is the controller doing when this condition occurs, i.e. is it running in production and doing work?

What is the return value that you get from S4FileCopy when the problem occurs?

RAP only supports 8.3 file/dir names, so make sure that you are not trying to copy a long file name or one with an illegal character.

Russell Drown
  • Hi there,

i have also written a recursively working routine to copy a directory structure (of a backup) from the ramdisk/flashdisk to the PC, it is working fine.

If you are interested in testing the routine, please sent me an email to thomas.w.schweren@de.abb.com and ask for it. It supports deleting after copy (unless you are using the ftp-interface), handing over control-elements for statusmessages and so on.

Also i wrote an S4Delete routine for a directory structure....

Regards

Thomas Schweren

• Hi,

PS.: Or you can use a tool like S4Remote, which will do all this as well...

Thomas

• I spoke to ABB Denmark the other day. He says the problem is the size of ramdisk. On the robot installations there is about 60-64MB ramdisk on each system. When I use file manager to check the free space there is about 30MB available. But ABB DK says that the robots store some temp or image files of various sizes on the ramdisk and is transparent to the user.

In most cases the Backup program just cease working, waiting forever. In other cases the robot might fault which cause production stop. The robot program is diappeared from TP, but comes back after a reboot.

The backup/file transfer program always works fine few days after a reboot. image

Thanks