RobotStudio event

Communication options

Options
Dear friends,

we have at University an ABB IRB 1600 robot with RobotWare version: 5.07.4002.04 .

As far as I know my colleagues tried to update its RW version to a newer one but the result was not the expected one (an error was received and robot could not be operated, ABB support was asked for helped and they put the same RW version).

Is there a way to check if this RW version is the latest one that can be put to our robot?
If updating the RW is a dead end what are the communication options left to connect with a PLC (e.g. Siemens S7-1200)?

I made some research but since I'm not very familiar with the way ABB robot controller works I would like to know your advises. So, bellow are my findings:
- DSQC 688 Profinet Board - seems to work only with RW starting with 5.11
- DSQC 667 Profibus Board - seems to work only with RW starting with 5.09
- DSQC 637 Profibus Board - not sure if rev. A of this board is commercially available ( rev. A of this board is compatible with  RW 5.07.... now rev. J of this board is the latest)

Since the ABB robot has a DeviceNet board connected inside controller computer, I though on Anybus gateways...did anyone experience a Profinet to DeviceNet gateway (e.g. AB7647, AB7653 ) or Modbus TCPIP to DeviceNet ?

Also tried the OPC server of RW 5.15 which seems to be able to connect to robot controller but have no idea how to read a data from robot controller or how to integrate it with a Siemens PLC.

If you have any advice please let me know
Best regards
Mircea.
Tagged:

Comments

• lemster68
    lemster68 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Which revision of RW did you try to upgrade to?  6.0 and up will definately not work, you need a newer controller which has a newer revision main computer.  5.60 and up I think is probably the same.  You will most likely be able to update to 5.15.  What revision main computer does your controller have?  Hint: DSQC something, most likely 3 digits.
    Lee Justice
  • Mircea
    Options
    Hello lemster68,
    thanks for your fast response.

I asked my colleges to which RW version they tried to update and I was told that it was RW 5.12.
    So, they tried to updated the RW 5.07.4002.04 to RW 5.12 without success.

I tried to look for the main computer revision, but could not find any marking on the computer inside the controller.
    I only have a serial ID of the robot and a manufacture date.
    Is there a way I can find the revision of controller computer if I go Online?

Best regards,
    Mircea.