RobotStudio event

World coordinate difference online/offline

Options
Hi, I'm experiencing some weird behavior of Robot Studio. World coordinate of target is different in virtual controller and in real world robot.

If I create target in world coordinate [0,0,0] it's not in the base of the robot.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Hello,

This is a common question. Have you tried searching the forums for an answer?

In the RobotStudio documentation there's a page explaning the coordinate systems. Access it via RobotStudio -> Help -> Search for "Coordinate Systems".

But in short, the controller World Frame is not the same as RobotStudio World Frame.

Here's an illustration (mad paint skills by a collegue):

Hope this helps.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • PetrB
    Options
    Thank you. I discovered post from Pavel, but could not edit the thread, as it was not approved yet.

So in real world, robot Task frame is used as World coordinate system in Robot Studio. Manual is not very clear at stating this. 

I assume that reason for is, when there are multiple robots within the system, each one of them can have their own "World coordinate system" which is actually Task Frame.

The task frame in RobotStudio is the same as World in the controller, however RobotStudio world is something else.
    /Pavel

• PetrB
    Options
    I tried to align Task frame to World coordinate system in RS (Right click on controller\Task Frames... [0,0,0], and controller reboot), but my target coordinates in World coordinate system are unchanged. What am I doing wrong?
  • After you do the change, do you get one or more dialog boxes popping up?

Maxim Riabichev
  • PetrB
    PetrB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes, 3.

1. Do you want to move Base from?
     - No, as I want to keep current position of the robot
    2. Do you want to keep position of all stationary Rapid object?
     - Yes
    3. Not all Base frame definitions are in accordance with the virtual controller. Do you want to update the controller config and restart?
     - Yes
  • Try to play around with Set Position and Edit System windows to solve your problem.

Maxim Riabichev
  • PetrB
    PetrB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    What do you mean by play around?

I was able to align both coordinate system, when I aligned robot Base frame with World base frame, but I had to move all other components and half of them are underground (Z dimension is negative).

What is proper way to do it?
  • Hello,

The proper way to do it is to build up your station according to the available documentation regarding coordination systems in RobotStudio :)

What I mean by "play around" is that there is a way to "correct" the coordination systems, but it's nothing that I am able to provide support with without going knee deep into your station (pack&go etc). So to find the solution for your specific station you should "play around" with available tools in RobotStudio.

If you are unable to find a solution that way, please contact your local ABB via https://new.abb.com/contact-centers

Maxim Riabichev
  • PetrB
    PetrB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thank you. There is very big chance, that station wasn't build properly, as I have minimal experiences.

I just wonder, why moving Task frame have no effect on World coordinates whatsoever.