RobotStudio event

RobotStudio in VMware - RAPID editor (online) really slow

Options
Hello,

I currently testing to put all my software for programming on a VMware with Windows 10.
Host computer is also running Windows 10.

Every program works fine, except RobotStudio. The program overall is pretty slow, which is fine.

But when you are online with a controller, the RAPID editor is really, really slow.
If you write something there is a delay between 3-8 seconds before you see it in the editor.

I have tried with both RobotStudio 6.07 and 6.06, both the complete installation and the installation for online mode only.

I do not think this is a hardware issue for the computer, since every other program works just fine, even when online with PLCs etc.

Have someone else experienced this and/or know what the cause might be? 

Comments

• soup
    soup ✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a problem with the RobotStudio source code:

Line 5157: "IF VM THEN RunSlow;"

Only half joking -- the possibility of continuous 30-day RobotStudio trials by rebuilding the VM is probably seen as a threat...
  • Johannes Weiman
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    I use VMWare a lot and haven't seen this. Is it the same for a VC or stand alone RAPID file?
    Also make sure 3D acceleration is enabled even though I don't think it's the problem in this case.

PS. 30-day trial isn't available in a virtual machine..
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    RobotStudio Team, ABB Robotics
  • Bim
    Options
    Hello,

Just tested running a VC (with a license) and editing a stand alone RAPID file. 
    It is the same problem. Keyboard inputs are delayed with up to 5 seconds.

And 3D acceleration is enabled.

Hmm..
  • zmc
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm using Parallels Desktop v13 with two vm's. I used to have slow response problem while assigning 2 cpu cores. After I changed it to 4 cores, it's as fast as a desktop pc.
    I used wmware fusion 4-5 years ago. I don't remember whether you can change the number of cores for assigning a vm. You should check it.
  • Good point. RS uses multithreading a lot, so the more cores the better.
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    RobotStudio Team, ABB Robotics