Additional HDD storage not available after RW6.09 update on controller

jmfjmf South Africa
Hi.

I am not sure if this is a bug with RW6.09 or not but can someone explain to me how to access the additional storage on a Controller with RW6.09 installed and working?

I upgraded from RW6.02 to RW6.09 and on RW6.02 I had access to the additional storage but after update I am not able to access the storage anymore.

Comments

• graemepaulingraemepaulin New Zealand ✭✭✭

Is the additional storage via the USB port on the main computer?

Are you trying to access the additional storage via the RAPID program, via the FlexPendant, or RobotStudio?

• jmfjmf South Africa
    No its not connected via usb it is connected inside to the main computer unit.

I am trying to access through all channels but no luck.
    Is it RAM or a hard disk - so I can see if this is a reported issue.
  • jmfjmf South Africa
    I am not sure how to check. Can you guide me on how to check that?
  • jmfjmf South Africa
    its the RAM i can not access

• IGlumacIGlumac Seattle WA
    Were you able to see it before?

If I recall correctly you can only view the RAM storage via an FTP type viewing program.
  • jmfjmf South Africa
    I was able to see it on RW 6.02 on the FlexPendant Explorer and with a ftp viewer, yes, but with the upgrade to RW 6.09 I am not able to see it at all.

The system works perfect with RW 6.09 and I can access everything else it is just that I had the option to store data on this "ram" and not on the hdoa. Now I need to store all modules and routines to the "hdoa" itself, which is not an issue but I would like to use as little memory of the hdoa (home directory).

I am not sure if it was a "partition" of the memory card or if it was external/extra memory which was added.

• lemster68lemster68 United States ✭✭✭

This ought to be what he is referring to, it says"/ram1".  I had been meaning to take a picture and got around to it last week.  I see it on our older, 6.0 systems, but on the newer, like 6.05, there is no such thing.
    Lee Justice
  • jmfjmf South Africa
    lemster68 said:

This ought to be what he is referring to, it says"/ram1".  I had been meaning to take a picture and got around to it last week.  I see it on our older, 6.0 systems, but on the newer, like 6.05, there is no such thing.
    Precisely what I was trying to say, Thanks Lemster.

Giving you a nudge @graemepaulin because you were participating in this conversation before.  Have a good day!
    Lee Justice
    edited May 29
    I have searched around on the internal ABB tools and found a reference to new functionality added in 6.01 to use the RAM disk:
    A new I/O device name diskram has been added in RAPID. It is described in the table describing the Object argument in instruction Open.
    RAMDISK:" or diskram1 can be used from RAPID to access the RAM disk.

The current Technical Reference Manual for RAPID still shows this this is still valid and notes:
    The RAM disk memory is not for permanent storage of any data. The size is around 100 Mb and it is cleared at each shut down.
    Thanks Graeme for getting back to us.  But what jmf was first having the issue with was that since he updated his RW then the /Ram1 was no longer available.  I can confirm that my RW 6.05 robots do not show it.
    Lee Justice
  • IGlumacIGlumac Seattle WA
    As I was saying before and as I was recently told by ABB via email is that to view the RAM you now have to use an FTP program. I can look up the specific details of that email if this is still an ongoing issue.