RobotStudio event

Virtual controller doesn't start (ArgumentNullException)

I have a problem regarding the virtual controllers. 
When i open my solution the controller is starting, but it stalls in this state. It never completes.
Meanwhile i can edit my station and add targets.
But when i want to open another file or close the application it doesn't respond.  (only with task manager)

these lines are the last lines in the log:
00:26:33.0366552|ExecutingCommand|DocumentationOnline|Activated
00:26:33.1714962|ExecutedCommand|DocumentationOnline
01:01:51.0012697|BackstageVisibilityChanged|False

Before this i changed something in the application and i got this error:

02:10:15.7719399|ControllerConnectionState|{22C9C07D-BD29-45DC-A4E8-7FC8910AC18B}|1
02:10:24.5776572|Exception|806bff3a-616d-4c35-82d0-b93eca7f80c4|System.ArgumentNullException|UserVisible
----EXCEPTION BEGIN----
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
   at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2, String path3)
   at RobotStudio.API.Internal.TransferHelper.ControllerAdded(ControllerObjectReference ctrl)
   at ABB.Robotics.RobotStudio.Controllers.ControllerManager.AddController(RobControllerConnection conn, Boolean isStationController, Boolean stopWhenRemoved)
   at RobotStudio.Services.Controller.ControllerService.<StartAsync>d__32.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at RobotStudio.Services.Controller.ControllerService.<Start>d__31.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at ABBInternal.Controller.StationVirtualControllerManager.<StartLoadedController>d__14.MoveNext()
ParamName:path1
----EXCEPTION END----

02:10:24.5846365|UserLogMessage|Error||Exception: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1

since then it doesnt reproduce this error and if i make a new virtual controller i have the same problem with no error message.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Kienan123
    Kienan123
    Answer ✓
    I've had similar issues and is more prevalent with older robot studio versions. When a virtual controller dose not start, RS locks up when starting controller, or if RS is saying the system is corrupt or missing file. This can normaly be resolved by killing all ABB background programs before trying to open the system again. After killing/closing robot studio kill ABB Virtual Robot Controller, ABB Industrial Robot Discovery server and ABB Industrial Robot Communications server in the task manager before reopening the station. Sometimes you can just close the station and kill ABB Virtual Robot Controller without closing RS.

ABB help desk will recommend uninstalling and reinstalling RS.

With the new RS versions you can uninstall and reinstall just the robot ware used for the station. If you really have corrupted your files.  

The error your getting is likely just a factor of the VR not running.

I hope this is of some help.

Answers

• Kienan123 said:
    I've had similar issues and is more prevalent with older robot studio versions. When a virtual controller dose not start, RS locks up when starting controller, or if RS is saying the system is corrupt or missing file. This can normaly be resolved by killing all ABB background programs before trying to open the system again. After killing/closing robot studio kill ABB Virtual Robot Controller, ABB Industrial Robot Discovery server and ABB Industrial Robot Communications server in the task manager before reopening the station. Sometimes you can just close the station and kill ABB Virtual Robot Controller without closing RS.

ABB help desk will recommend uninstalling and reinstalling RS.

With the new RS versions you can uninstall and reinstall just the robot ware used for the station. If you really have corrupted your files.  

The error your getting is likely just a factor of the VR not running.

I hope this is of some help.
    Thank you for the reaction.
    This morning i wanted to follow your steps but it was not needed anymore. It suddenly worked. I guess that the PC restart fixed it.
    I should have tried that before i asked the question...

But thanks again for taking the time to help