RobotStudio event

Paint in VR

I have looked for discussions for this already but couldn't find any.

We have a paint robot and have just purchased an Oculus Quest 2 to be able to program it through virtual reality.

I can access my station through the VR button and can program, add setbrushes etc and it will simulate this. I have the Painting PowerPac as part of our license, therefore I can edit brush tables and fan tables in these menus.

I cannot however get my fan to show virtually. I have seen in videos that your fan will appear when programming so that you can gauge where the paint will reach to. Additionally, I cannot get the VR simulation to virtually spray the paint on the object.

Is there any way to access these features? I have tried searching online however there is not much out there at all.

Comments

• Hi,
    You can do this with help of SmartComponents in RobotStudio. To show/hide the "fan" you can use the SmartComponent "Show" and "Hide" that you trigg from the paint process I/O signal in the Virtaul Controller.
    For virtually spray paint, you use the SmartComponent "PaintApplicatior". 
    You will find the button for creating SmartCompents in the Modeling tab.
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Thank you Anders, How would I do this? I have followed another smart component post that uses A1Brush along with `Comparers´ and `Converters´ but this does not seem to work for me to see any paint on the part.
  • Do like this:
    • From Simulation - Station Logic, import (Compose - Add component) the SmartComponent "PaintApplicatior".
    • Attach it to the paint gun you use (do not keep position).
    • Right click on the SC and select Properties.
    • Select the part you should paint in the drop down, and the color etc. Don't forget to press Apply.
    • In Station Logic, connect the "Enabled" signal to the DO output in your Virtual Controller that controls the paint process.
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Thank You Anders.

Is it possible to use multiple Paint Applicators and show/hide them using smart components depending on which TCP I am using?

I have the TCPs from our real Robot Synchronized to the station and are what I use to Program. My tool that is modelled through the mechanism wizard doesn't quite line up with the TCPs when jogging the joints. Therefore I wondered if there was a simple way I could show/hide different a 'fan'/'cone' depending on what Pose my tool is in? I am currently having to set the position of my Paint Applicator SC each time I change the Pose, which then doesn't work when I run my program in simulation for obvious reasons.

Thanks
  • There is a Joint Sensor SmartComponent. Depending on joint values, you could trigger some logic.

If you want the Paint Applicator to be mounted on the robot, just drag the SC on the 6th axis of the robot. Then it follows like a normal tool.
  • EmilyReid said:

Is it possible to use multiple Paint Applicators and show/hide them using smart components depending on which TCP I am using?

I have the TCPs from our real Robot Synchronized to the station and are what I use to Program. My tool that is modelled through the mechanism wizard doesn't quite line up with the TCPs when jogging the joints. Therefore I wondered if there was a simple way I could show/hide a different SC Applicator depending on what Pose my tool is in? I have created one that shows/hides geometry parts, but cannot get the SC Paint Applicator to do the same.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
  • Hello, i'm trying to do the same with my students but we have a problem, the part (a car hood) can't be assigned to Part in PaintApplicator properties. In fact it can but when I hit apply, it's not saved. Do you know why ?
  • getget said:
    Hello, i'm trying to do the same with my students but we have a problem, the part (a car hood) can't be assigned to Part in PaintApplicator properties. In fact it can but when I hit apply, it's not saved. Do you know why ?
     It took me a while to get my head around the paint applicator, and to be completely honest I still don't fully understand it.

Do you mean you just can't see it anywhere once you have filled out the properties and applied it?

Have you Enabled it?
    Checked it's not appeared somewhere else in the cell?
  • EricH
    EricH
    edited December 2022
    EmilyReid said:

I have the TCPs from our real Robot Synchronized to the station and are what I use to Program. My tool that is modelled through the mechanism wizard doesn't quite line up with the TCPs when jogging the joints. Therefore I wondered if there was a simple way I could show/hide different a 'fan'/'cone' depending on what Pose my tool is in? I am currently having to set the position of my Paint Applicator SC each time I change the Pose, which then doesn't work when I run my program in simulation for obvious reasons.

Thanks
    Not sure what exactly you want to achieve. You have multiple robots or multiple TCPs on one robot?

As I said, there is a JointSensor which represents the pose.

If you want to hide, depending on what TCP is active (not depending the pose) then the only possible way I see, is using a RapidVariable (under Controller in Simulation Logic)