RobotStudio event

Why do I have backup problems in Robotstudio?

Hi,
I'm not able to make a back-up in Robotstudio. I keep getting the message that the directory is to long (11036). Even when I change it to a very small directory.
Also I'm not able to synchronize to rapid. 

Can Anyone help? 

(Robotstudio 2022.2)

Best Answer

• mandolas
    mandolas
    Answer ✓
    When the error is generated does not appear a part of the path where the error was generated?
    In my case I found out by looking at the reeo message that reported the home folder.
    Take a look at the message that appears that should point out the path that is too long.
    Try to open the FlexPendant in RS and make the backup around and observe the message that is returned in the error.

Answers

• Hello...
    I had a similar problem doing an automated backup procedure.
    In my case, the warning that the path was too long was due to the fact that I had a folder with several internal subfolders.
    If I'm not mistaken the maximum folder levels should be less than 20.
    Checks if this is not happening in any folder within the project, or if any of the paths are not too long.

In my case it was in the HOME folder.
    I hope it helps.
  • Good point, but I don't see how I could fix this. I tried putting the folder in a shorter directory and change name, without result. The directory is also not that long.
  • Hello Ruben,

There is a 260 characters limit to a path in Windows (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation)

Please make sure that your controller does not contain nested folders (be it in HOME, or any other folder) that would make it so that the total path to the "final folder" exceeds 260 characters.

I have previously seen that some users store a backup of their controller in the HOME folder, while at the same time saving the Virtual Controller in a path that is longer than 100 characters (e.g. C:\Users\SomeUserName\OneDrive - Some Company Name That Is Long\Documents\RobotStudio\Virtual Controllers\), which then triggers this limitation in Windows.

Hope this helps.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • mandolas
    mandolas
    edited August 2022
    Post edited by mandolas on