RobotStudio event

Create a border between face and body???

Options

I would like to create a border between a body and a face on another body.  How can I do this in RS 5.08???

I could do it in 3.2 just fine.

Since each face of a body is selectable in RS5.08, is there a way to treat the face as a body.  I've tried to create a new part and add just an individual face but with no success.

Will it be something built into future versions of RS 5.xx??

Thanks

Comments

• Anders S
    Options

Hi,

Use the function "Create Border between Bodies".

Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • bhanscom
    Options

Hi Anders,

I have tried that, but that only works ( at least for me ) if the selection level is set to bodies.  If I have a body made up of a number of faces, I can't select just a one of the faces that make up the body.  Well, I can select it, but it will not populate the 'Create border between bodies' list box like it would have in RS 3.2

Is this true, or could I be missing something here? Does RS5.xx handle graphics components completely different than in 3.2??

Thanks,

Brian

• Anders S
    Options

Hi Brian,

What I know is the "Create Border - Intersection" function in RS 3.2 also on body level. It's only accept selection level "Entity" which is the same as "body" in RS 5.

See attached picture. 2007-06-01_093009_Create_Border_RS_3.2.zip

"Create Border - Edge" is on surface (face) level in RS 3.2, which is the same function as "create Border around Surface" in RS 5.

Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Yes Anders, that is all true.  But in 3.2 a face can be selected at either the face level or the body level.  So in 3.2, since the input box from the pic allows for body level selections only, it is possible to populate them with the face(which in 3.2 is treated as an entity), because you can also select a face at the body selection level also, where you can't in RS5.

In RS5, the graphic model does not seem to treat a face in the same way. In modeling mode, a body structure is comprised of a number of faces, so by selecting a body, you select all the faces that make up the body.  And there is no way (that I can find) to separate out the faces unless I use some other CAD software to do it for me and therefore treat them as its own part.

So is there a way to get into these a little deeper from VC# or something??

Thanks

• Anders S
    Options

Yes, if the part is a "surface model" (for example an iges file), each face will be handled as a body (or entity) in RS. But not if the file is a solid model (for example an acis (.sat) file made in RS).

This behaviour is the same in both RS for S4 and in RS 5.

Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics