RobotStudio event

Change name of Virtual Controller

Options
Hello all,

I changed the name of my virtual controller in Installation Manager 6. I did it without my station open. Now when I open my station it is still trying load the old VC name and comes up with an error failing to load VC. How can I manually link the Station back to the new named VC?

Much thanks!

RobotStudio 2022.3.2 (64-bit)
Version 22.3.10190.2

Comments

• Nils Olofsson
    Options
    Hello,
    When you open the station, is there not a prompt to inform you that the controller cannot be found and asks you to manually point towards the controller?

Nils Olofsson
    PC Software Support Engineer

• BwillieS
    Options
    There is a prompt telling me the controller cannot be found but my only option is to press OK.
  • Nils Olofsson
    Options
    Since you say station i am going to assume you are using that and not projects (i would really recommend using projects).

Before you do ANYTHING more, create a backup of the controller (expand the Add Controller tab and click start virtual controller, find your renamed controller and create a backup)

The following steps worked for me when i recreated the issue:

open Robot studio
    go to installation manager 6 and locate your controller with the new name
    navigate to your virtual controllers folder and make sure there is no folder with the old controller name.
    rename your controller so that it has the old name again. 
    open the station
    Hopefully this will work.

Nils Olofsson

• BwillieS
    Options
    Since you say station i am going to assume you are using that and not projects (i would really recommend using projects).

Before you do ANYTHING more, create a backup of the controller (expand the Add Controller tab and click start virtual controller, find your renamed controller and create a backup)

The following steps worked for me when i recreated the issue:

open Robot studio
    go to installation manager 6 and locate your controller with the new name
    navigate to your virtual controllers folder and make sure there is no folder with the old controller name.
    rename your controller so that it has the old name again. 
    open the station
    Hopefully this will work.
    I am sorry I misspoke. It is a project I'm working on. Im new to the 'project' work. so I guess it's my project that is no longer connected to the new named VC.
  • Nils Olofsson
    Options
    ok, So same applies but you will find the controller in the project folder.
    I just realized that you can delete virtual controllers from the installation manager. So make sure that there is no corrupt controller with the original name inside the project folder, if it is, delete it (from Installation manager) and rename the renamed controller back to the original name. 

Nils Olofsson