RobotStudio event

Is it good practice to put all robtargets in a separate module?

Options
Hello,

I am new to ABB. We have a new machine and two ABB robots. 

The two programs are done differently. I guess by two different programmers. In one program the robtargets are all in a module. In the other program, the robtargets are in the main module.

Isn't it better to put the robtargets in a module? Why would you have everything in the main module? 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jmf
    jmf
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Like Mandolas explained, is quite right. If your program requires targets specific to that program, and not to any other, store them in that module. You can even declare them then as LOCAL parameters which means they are only available for that specifics module or program. Benefit of this is that you can unload the module and the Robot targets for that module, can not be mistakenly used in another program and cause issues.

Whenever you have multiple programs, using the same robot targets, it's better to declare them in a System Module that is always loaded and active.

I prefer to allocate my robot targets and even joint targets in this manner which means that I can name whatever I want without there being multiple targets declared with the same name which causes ambiguous errors. 

Answers

• mandolas
    Options
    kckku said:
    Hello,

I am new to ABB. We have a new machine and two ABB robots. 

The two programs are done differently. I guess by two different programmers. In one program the robtargets are all in a module. In the other program, the robtargets are in the main module.

Isn't it better to put the robtargets in a module? Why would you have everything in the main module? 
    Hi...

Each case is different ...
    If I wanted to use a common position between programs (e.g. P_HOME) this would be in the main module 'MainModule', otherwise it would be in the program module 'ProgramModule', since positions are specific to each program.
    If the positions were obtained through parameters, I would use a specific module 'PositionsModule', to store the robtargets, this way they will be used for all programs.