RobotStudio event

How can I apply changes without losing PP?

Options
Hi

Are there any guidelines regarding what you can do to Apply your rapid changes without loosing PP? 

My lifehack is to only change one row, then apply, change another row, apply and so on.

It feels like PP is lost easier when robot is in manual mode.

/David
-----------------
David
Swedish freelance ABB robot programmer

Answers

• Braap
    Options
    Hey Newman,
    The PP will get lost when the robot is executing in the changed Module/Task. if you do changes out of that it wont get lost.

Greets.

Robotic Software Engineer
  • Newman
    Options
    But it makes no sense why it works to apply one row at a time but not two.

There must be more to this. It feels more like a lottery to me.
    -----------------
    David
  • Newman
    Options
    Does anyone know? For us who use RS for commisioning this is something we struggle with but accepted as it is. It can be a real hassle if program pointer is lost in some cells.

For some reason I find commented rows and rows with IF-statements more likely to lose program pointer than others. 

As a comparison, the Flexpendant can edit almost any row independant of where program pointer is, as long it’s not the current row.

-----------------
    David
  • lemster68
    Options
    You don't use select range much when using the pendant?  I have long found that editing a selected range is almost a surefire way to lose the PP when using the pendant.  If I recall correctly, it could be in another routine and maybe module from where the pointer is.
    Lee Justice
  • Newman
    Options
    lemster68 said:
    You don't use select range much when using the pendant?  I have long found that editing a selected range is almost a surefire way to lose the PP when using the pendant.  If I recall correctly, it could be in another routine and maybe module from where the pointer is.
    Actually I almost never use select range. Don’t know why really. Usually at customer site I have RS, Siemens TIA portal and Anydesk to vision computer running on my PC. So a lot of the rapid debugging I do on my PC and mostly I use Flexpendant for touching up robtargets and for testing/executing program.

As a side note, last webinar from the RS team, Magnus Seger mentioned that it might be time to rethink the way you apply changes to robot controller. Maybe they have some nice new features coming in the future😊
    -----------------
    David