RobotStudio event

Where did Jog and Reorient go?

Options
With the new updates that are out. Does anyone know why they took away jog and reorient for moving the robot around. It only has move and rotate as an option and it comes with some pains when moving the robot. If you accidentally grab the robot it moves it messing everything up.

Answers

• Maxim Riabichev
    edited January 25
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but it looks to me like there still is a Jog Joint functionality in the latest RS version (2023.4.1)

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • laidlaw02
    Options
    Hey, 

Thank you for answering. The jog joint functionality is not what it used to be on older versions of RS. In older versions you were able to click on the neck of the robot and drag it as if you were jogging linearly on the real system. 

On the new version of RS the jog joint functionality opens another window where you can move each individual axis at a time. 

Hope this helps describe what I am looking for. The function has been missing for a little while now and have been dealing with it. Thought I would put it here to see if it can be brought back.

• Maxim Riabichev
    Options
    With Move and Rotate enabled, if you click the robot base, then the robot base moves.
    If you click any other part of the robot, you get to move and rotate the robot joints in relation to active tool TCP.

The gizmo makes it quite clear which part you are about to move/rotate.

Personally, I don't find this difficult. But maybe I still don't get what it is you are missing. Can you record a video perhaps?

Maxim Riabichev
  • laidlaw02
    Options
    Hey Maxim, 

You are correct about clicking the robot base and any other part of the robot and the gizmo shows up. The difference between the older versions to the new version is that the jog only pertained to the robot. So linear and reorient only controlled the robot. If you use "move" and lets say you are in arc welding power pac and messing about the targets in your path window. If you forget to select the robot you move the actual target you created which is super annoying compared to what it used to be. 

Next week I will do my best to get some videos of the differences between the two and then hopefully I can show you what changed. 

I've never uploaded a video or picture on this site, How would I go about showing a video or picture? 

Thanks, 
    Kyle 

• laidlaw02
    Options
    Hey Maxim, 

Were you able to find the difference I was talking about? 

In the older versions of RS, When you selected the jog button you were only able to jog the robot around. Where as right now you have to use the "move" function and if you don't click on the welding torch of the robot and instead click on the robot or anything else it will move that instead of your intended intentions of jogging the robot linearly. 

I'm still not sure how to upload a picture on the site, if I can find out how I can load my 2019 RS and take a picture of what the differences are.

Thanks, Kyle
  • Maxim Riabichev
    edited February 7
    Options
    Hi Kyle,

Okay, but what's preventing you from clicking on anything else on the robot (except the robot base), to jog the robot? This was my experience when I tried to reproduce this. And I think it worked really well.

You can link to pictures/videos hosted elsewhere. Some people use imgur.com for example.

Maxim Riabichev
  • laidlaw02
    Options
    Nothing is preventing me, it was just nicer when it was the other way. The other problem with having to use the "move" function to jog the robot is that when programming in arc weld power pac. If you have the robot selected to move around and then you create a target you have to re-click on the robot because if you don't, the "move" function defaults to the target you just created and you move that instead of the robot. 
  • Maxim Riabichev
    Options
    Hey Kyle,

Regarding the "other problem", based on your description it sounds like it might be a bug in AWPP (that it doesn't correctly support the new gizmo).

I'd recommend you to report it via Local ABB so that AWPP team can investigate and resolve.

https://new.abb.com/contact-centers

Maxim Riabichev
  • laidlaw02
    Options
    Ok, thank you for your support. Much appreciated.  :)