RobotStudio event

Backup failed

Options
Hi...

When saving a project I am receiving the message "Backup failed". I'm using RobotStudio 2023.1, I use this because of the new layout (I DON'T LIKE IT), I wouldn't like to update the version unnecessarily.
The problem ...
When I save the station, RS returns a backup error and when opening the project again it cannot restore the controller state.
Every time I reopen the project the controller does not load, forcing me to restore a backup to continue my work.
If I make the backup from RS, it doesn't return an error and I can restore this backup without any problems (which I have to do every time I open the project).

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there any way this won't happen anymore?
Tagged:

Answers

• mandolas
    Options
    Hi...
    I decided to update RS 23.4.10609.1 and the release states...

"Backup fails for RobotStudio solutions with SafeMove or Electronic Position Switches

Backups are automatically created for virtual controller systems that are part of a RobotStudio solution when saving the station. For virtual controller systems with the RobotWare options SafeMove or Electronic Positioning Switches the backup will fail since these systems contain files that are read-only. As a result, an error message is presented in the output window: <System name>: Backup failed. The station will be successfully saved but there will be no backup created. Workaround: Ignore the error message <System name>: Backup failed and create a manual backup whenever needed. The RobotStudio Option “Enable automatic backup of controllers in solution” that is available in ”RobotStudio Options -> Robotics -> Virtual Controller” can be de-selected to disable the backup function."

That's seriously $8000 worth of license fees and I have to manually back it up so I don't lose my work?

Is this really ABB?

• DenisFR
    DenisFR ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello,
    Is your station (and virtual controller) is in an folder with accented (or space) characters?

• mandolas
    mandolas
    edited February 16
    Options
    Hi...
    Thanks for the feedback...

In response to your question, I do not use special characters, spaces or accents in anything that is part of the code or project folders. If there is a need for vertionalization, '_x' is used.
    This RS restriction is very inconvenient and engineers can certainly work around this problem.

Doesn't this bother anyone else???
  • Maxim Riabichev
    edited February 17
    Options
    Hey @mandolas,

I hear your frustration.

My advice would be to reach out to your local ABB and explain how this known limitation affects your and your engineers' work. I'm not sure if it's a quick fix to make automatic backups possible even though there are read-only files in the mix, but what I do know is that the more customers provide feedback regarding a certain thing - the more resources are allocated into resolving it.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • mandolas
    Options
    Hey @mandolas,

I hear your frustration.

My advice would be to reach out to your local ABB and explain how this known limitation affects your and your engineers' work. I'm not sure if it's a quick fix to make automatic backups possible even though there are read-only files in the mix, but what I do know is that the more customers provide feedback regarding a certain thing - the more resources are allocated into resolving it.
    Hi Maxim...
    Thanks for the feedback ...
    I will try this. Thanks.