RobotStudio event

Independent control of robot 1-5 axes

Hello. We have an old ABB robot IRB 6650S with IRC5 controller. We would like to disassemble it's motors and use them on custom build mechanism, based on linear move axis. For this purpose we need to have possibility to control all 6 axes of the robot independently. I see there is an option called 610-1 Independent Axes, but there is limitation to use it only for 6th axis (for understandable reason, because 1-5 axes have mechanical limits). In our case we won't have these mechanical limits, because we will install these motors on another mechanism without these limitations. Is it somehow possible to "workaround" this software limitation and use independent control of 1-5 axes as well?

Answers

• I think what your looking for is "stand alone controller" where you can use the robotcontroller and motors to control custom mechanism. I think your still limited to 4 task's unless you combine multiple motors for one kinematic (X-Y Gantry for example) 

Read more in this manual, there is also a list of premade kinematics to use.
    https://library.e.abb.com/public/40ce6a4afd3246ab98e1526975798d29/3HAC051016 AM Additional axes and standalone controller RW 6-en.pdf

It's not simple / plug and play but possible. 
    Systemintegrator - Web / C# / Rapid / Robotstudio

If I helped, please press Vote Up  :smile:
  • I've tried to install new robot system on the basis of Standalone Controller, but unfortunately Robotstudio didn't let me to do it, because current Drive Module keys made for IRB 6550S robots and can't be used for standalone controller... I guess I will need contact ABB for generating new Drive Module keys.