RobotStudio event

Install RobotWare 5.16 in RobotStudio

Hello, 

We are new to ABB robots and RobotStudio. We bought a robot with an IRC5 controller working with RobotWare 5.16. When we try to install a GSD file to the controller via RobotStudio, the controller seems to be unsupported, since RobotWare 5.16 is not installed in RobotStudio. Now, we are trying to install RobotWare 5.16 into RobotStudio. We downloaded it from the Add-ins tab in RobotStudio (Add button not available for this old version) and installed it to our computer. Now, we want to install it into RobotStudio so our IRC5 controller will be "supported" in RobotStudio. Can anyone please advice us on how to do this? 

Thank you in advance!  

Answers

• Hello there,

When you download RobotWare 5.16 from the Addins-tab, there will be an installer executable in the zip.
    So you have to unzip the folder and install RobotWare 5.16 separately for it to be available in RobotStudio.

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Hi Maxim, 

Thank you for looking at our question. We tried this, but we were not successful unfortunately. The RobotWare 5.16 version does not show up in our RobotStudio. Is there a step we need to do after installing RobotWare 5.16? Or do we need to install it in a specific folder? 
  • Are you able to locate RobotWare 5.16 under this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ABB Industrial IT\Robotics IT\MediaPool ?

Maxim Riabichev
    PC Software Support Engineer
  • Hello Maxim, Yes a folder called RobotWare_5.16.0005 is located there. 
  • What version of Robotstudio are you using?
    Lee Justice
  • Try copying that folder here:

C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\ABB\RobotWare

Let us know if that works for you please.
    Lee Justice
  • Hello Lee, 

We are using the latest version of RobotStudio 2024.2.1 (64-bit) Version 24.2.10821.1

We tried copying the folder there (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ABB\RobotWare\RobotWare_5.16.0005), restarting the PC, but there is no installed RobotWare package in RobotStudio. 
  • OK.  I am not updated to the most recent RS, I checked in RS 2022, which is my most recent.  I can see that in the Addins tab, it does not show that 5.16 is added.  I also do not see it in the list in the Addins already installed listed on the left.  However, I was able to successfully create a new system with 5.16 because it showed up in the list.  The mediapool was pointing to where Maxim had earlier suggested.
    I guess you are worried that you don't see it added, but you can create the system and should be able to use it.  I reread your first post, GSD files don't get loaded to the controller, they get added in the PLC configuration.
    Try creating the system from backup and let us know.
    Lee Justice
  • Thank you. We created a new system with RobotWare5.16 and loaded it to the controller. We added the GSDML file to the RobotWare 5.16 folder. It does show up in the RobotWare 5.16 folder in the Flexpendant file explorer. Does this mean it is now added in the PLC configuration, or do we need to perform more steps? 
  • The PLC needs the GSDML to be added to its configuration.
    Lee Justice
  • Hello Lee, 

I am not sure if I fully understand this yet. We want to add an end-effector to our robot. In the manual of the end-effector it says to "Please import the XML device description file (GSDML) into the IO-controller, if that is not possible use a suitable controller that supports this function". In RobotStudio, we cannot use I/O engineering Tool since with RobotWare5.16 this is not supported. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.  
  • This sounds like you are using Profinet.  Is that correct?  If it is, the user manual will tell you which software tools can be used to generate the file needed for your HOME directory.
    Lee Justice
  • Hi Lee, Yes that is correct we are using Profinet. We found PROFINET-IO Configurator Express inside the RobotWare5.16 and we can see we can add a GSD file in there. But what file do we need to generate (for our HOME directory (linked_m.sys and/or user.sys?), how do we generate this and where do we place it? Or do we have to write it to the IRC5 using this software?  
  • It should be IPPNIO.XML that gets generated.  It gets put into the HOME directory.
    You don't need to do anything with linked_m.sys or user.sys.  User module is intended for data declarations like your own tooldatas, workobjects and so on.
    Lee Justice