RobotStudio event

How to avoid collision between multi robots?

Hi fellow robot engineers,
I know there are several corresponding functions between robot manufacturers.
For example, Fanuc provides IIC(Intelligence Interference Check) function, which sets safety zones(Cylindrical zones for robot body and spherical zones for robot joints).

I would like to know if there is a similar function for ABB robots.
I found that the "Work zone" in ABB and the "DCS zone" in Fanuc serve the same purpose.

Can anyone confirm if there is an equivalent function to "IIC(Fanuc)" in ABB robots?
Thank you

Answers

• Hi !
    I have not used Fanuc collision avoidancre but I can suggest solutions for ABB.

"WORLD Zone" option can be used for that in ABB. But that will check only robot TCP location inside some defined area. It does not know anything about rest of the robot shapes and movements. If that is sufficient in your application - it's OK to use. You can set up signals outXxxZoneIsSafe in both robots and check that both are not "low" same time. Also decide if you can enter into zone if other robot is reporting zone to be safe.

But best way to do it is to use MultiMove option (sychronized or independant). In that case robots are connected to same controller. Now you can enable and configure Collision Avoidance in both robots (default robot mechanics are already predefined). Collision avoidance in MultiMove system can predict and avoid crash if robots are in collision cource.

Multimove option is not available in Omnicore C line controllers (by my best knowledge). But you can also set up collision boxes between 2 robot controllers by using HW signals. Collision avoidance shapes can be activated/deactivated by IO signals (simulated, fieldbus or HW) and also shapes can set signals similar to WorldZone shapes (not used this one by myself).

Fritz.
  • Not know about IIC, yet DCS zone for FANUC is corresponding to SafeMove zone for ABB.