RobotStudio event

Robotstudio Online IP

Hello all,

When I must go to make the setting up of one machine I must change my IP address to something compatible with 192.168.125.xxx.

this makes it more complicated to use this tool:  I cannot navigate Internet, I cannot use the Subversion in order to check in or check out the PLC source code, I can't send and receive mails...

I've tried to set up another IP address on my network card (something that's called "multihomed system") and it doesn't work for me.

Is there any workaround to be able to have two IP addresses on the same NIC?  of course I can always buy a new Ethernet card, but then I'll need to do it for my laptop and for my desktop computer and also for my coworkers...

Comments

• If you have the PC Interface option in your robot controller, you can configure an IP address (static or DHCP) for the robot LAN port (not the service port) by X-starting the robot then entering the settings. Then you can connect to your robot(s) over your existing network. Note that you cannot simply plug the serivce port into your network, as this will cause DHCP addresses to be served up over your network and potentially disrupt your network connectivity.
    Russell Drown
  • Yes, I know that and I've made a mistake as I've not written everything.  Sorry for that, I meant when I have to use the "RobotStudio Online" software.

That software don't seem to recognize the multihomed system and don't allow me to start it if I don't use that IP address range (192.168.125.xxx).

And It would be great to be able to configure it to connect to a different IP address, but I don't also know how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

• I've seen how to do it in the robotstudio online, but you are right, the PC Interface option is needed...

Thank you for your time!

• Hello,Joan

The problem seems that you want to acess the office network and connect to the robot simultaneously.There is no need to buy another network card.It's convenient to do as below:

1.If your laptop is ThinkPad ,you can use IBM Access Connections(software) to create 2 diiferent ip configuration.One is for Office work and the other is for Robot connection.When you want to switch the ip configuration,you can press "Fn" + "F5" key to switch the ip configuration. There should be access connection utilities in some other brand laptop.

2.Perhaps you need some 3rd party ip switcher software like ipswitcher and ipshifter: http://www.ipswitcher.com/download-basic.htm  and http://www.live-share.com/files/300652/IPShifter-v2.21.rar.h tml

Good luck!

seekhust2008-1-23 7:17:15
  • [QUOTE=RussD]If you have the PC Interface option in your robot controller, you can configure an IP address (static or DHCP) for the robot LAN port (not the service port) by X-starting the robot then entering the settings. Then you can connect to your robot(s) over your existing network. Note that you cannot simply plug the serivce port into your network, as this will cause DHCP addresses to be served up over your network and potentially disrupt your network connectivity.[/QUOTE]

Hi, What do you mean "you cannot simply plug the service port into your network"?

In my IRC5 controller, there is only one RJ45 port, and we have the options of PC interface and Socket Messaging. However when I went to the X-Start and set the LAN IP as 192.168.125.* (here * means any number in 1-255 ), it will notify me that there is IP address collision. Then I set the IP as 192.168.10.10, with the gateway as 192.168.10.1. After the restart, an error message pops up, saying

Event Message 12512
       Network gateway IP adress illegal
       The default gateway IP adress 192.168.10.1 is illegal/missing or the LAN IP adress 192.168.10.10 is illegal.

Then I changed the gateway address to the same one as the LAN IP, that is 192.168.10.10. After restart, the event message disapprears. However in the "ABB Test Signal Viewer", I can not connect the robot using 192.168.10.10, but can only connect 192.168.125.1 which is the Service port of the controller.

Is there any DIP switch inside the IRC5 controller for selecting the LAN port? Thanks for help!

jabo2008-5-22 11:59:18
  • You should not plug your service port into your facility network because the service port is a DHCP server, and it can assign IP addresses to other computers on the network that should not be connecting to the robot. THis will cause problems for your IT people.

There are multiple RJ-45 ports on an IRC5 maincomputer box. Most of them are reserved for things like axis computer, TPU, panel unit, etc. Every controller will have a port labelled "Service" and a port labelled "LAN".

It sounds to me like you have an addressing problem on your PC. If you address the robot LAN port at 192.168.10.10 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0, then your computer address must be 192.168.10.x, and you must plug into the LAN port with a crossover cable or plug the LAN port and your computer into a switch or hub using regular ethernet cables.

If you are going to assign a gateway address, then it has to be an active address, in other words, there is probably no device on the network with address 192.168.10.1 that the robot can contact on startup.

The only time that you can connect to the robot on 192.168.125.1 is when you are plugged into the "Service" port, so make sure you are plugged into the LAN port. Some controller have an optional extension that runs a cable to an RJ45 port on the outside of the cabinet, so if you can't find an empty port called LAN on the computer, that may be why.

Russell Drown
  • Klaus
    Klaus ✭✭

Hallo Joan.

By a router and connect the wan port to sevice port and then configurate it to your local network. You save the money for PC interface and you can get acces to the boot manager and can reboot the robot. You can also make your robot wireless.

Best regards Klaus 

Best Regards

Klaus Soenderhegn
    www.cadalysator.dk
  • Are there any ways to change IP address on Virtual Controller? I tried to X-start but VC didn't have X-start.
  • kazoo said:
    Are there any ways to change IP address on Virtual Controller? I tried to X-start but VC didn't have X-start.
    You can change the IP setting in HOME/IV/vc_network_definition.xml:(a restart is required)
    However, I'm not sure how it will work since there is no physical MAC-address(setting the IP to the ip to the RobotStudio PC ip works at least).
    <VC_NETWORK_DEF>
    	<PORT name="SERVICE">
    		<IPaddress>127.0.0.1</IPaddress>
    		<SubnetMask>255.255.255.0</SubnetMask>
    	</PORT>
    </VC_NETWORK_DEF>

It's worth a try!