Hello,

What was the bug in old 5.10 in short?

I have not got any bug so far.

Yu

Comments

• Jetman
    Options

Hello Yu,

From what I understand there was a problem with exmergency stops in the old Robotware version. This bug was affecting only real robots/controllers.

Only Robotware have been modified in VER 2 of the DVD so RSO and RS should be the same.

It went from Robotware 5.10.0146 to Robotware 5.10.0147

Jet

Jet,
    Janin Delorme, Ing. (P.Eng)
  • Hi Jet,

Thank you for your answer. But I'm not clear yet.

How does emergency stop affect real robots/controllers?

And also do you mean old robotware is 5.10.0146 here?

Yu 

• Jetman
    Options

Hello Yu,

Again I remind you that this is my own comprehension of the problem and only ABB could confirm but from what I understand there was some kind of problem with the controller security.

Imagine Robotware beeing the "Windows" of any ABB controller. That windows takes care of everything including the parameters that will make the robot Stops when certain conditions happen. If that "Windows" is defective then you could have situations when an E-stop, or other errors, would not make the robot stops.

When you install a new system in a controller you use Robotware as the "Windows". It is Robotware that is transfered into the controller when you install a system.

As long as you use RobotStudio and a virtual robot that bug is not really a problem but when you will be installing a new system inside a controller from the RW5.10.0146 (which is the first release of the 5.10 DVD) then the real robot will not have a safe version of RobotWare.

If you only made programs with the first version of 5.10 inside RobotStudio to use them later with a real controller then it shouldn't be a problem because the Robotware is not part of the program.

Hope it helps,

Jet

Jet,
  • Hi Jet,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Now I understood.

Yu image

• Anders S
    Options
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Hello,

I'm confused again.

Do we need to upgrade RS and RS online to use RW5.10.1?

I mean from RS5.10 in Jan to the one in Feb?

Did RS5.10 change from Jan?

Yu

• Jetman
    Options

Hello Yu,

The last post from Anders says it all, you need to reinstall everything.

Thats the only way it should always be done for any kind of software anyway IMHO. image

But it also specify that you do not need to MANUALLY uninstall the programs because when you install the RobotStudio DVD, it deletes the old versions automatically before installing the new ones.

The reason why I originally asked if we could only reinstall RobotWare was because I have 50 computers at my office with RobotStudio installed. I was trying to save time, shame on me. image

Jet

P.S. Which brings a new suggestion for the devs. I would add a red text/sentence in the main installation screen of Setup.exe saying that we do not need to uninstall the old versions, that they would be removed automatically.

After the next release or RS, everybody would read that and know this forever.

Jet,