RobotStudio event

Connect Work-Objects automatically

Options
Hi!

When trying to use the event-manager to connect objects to the gripper on runtime the robot often connects a part of the surrounding station instead of the object.

I use the option to connect the nearest part regarding the TCP
to the gripper because I want the robot to carry different things from place to place.
As you can see in the picture the nearest object to the TCP (right
between the gripper's arms, almost same position as object's origin) seems to be the object that I want to grip,
but robotstudio connects the desk beneath to the gripper and carries it
around.

What have I done wrong? If I try to grip the object far too high it will work but that would look very strange.

Comments

• Hi,

The "Find closest object" logic measures the distance from the TCP to the shell of other objects, e.g. it has no notion of solid objects. In your image, even though the TCP is inside the part you want to grip, the table it lies on may actually be considered closer to the TCP..

If possible, you could modify the gripper by moving the TCP in the positive z direction to work around this.

regards,
    Johannes
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics
  • MaWi81
    Options
    Thanks for the hint!

Moving the TCP into positive z-direction is no alternative as I want to turn the object and set it on another position using the other face without great calculation.

I changed the object a little bit (cylinder right through object-center). Now it works.
    MaWi812008-5-14 13:21:31