RobotStudio event

Circular weld orientation [ArcWelding PowerPac]

Options
Hello,
I have been using the circular weld generator for welding circular items. However every robot point that is created on the circular object has the x axis of the point, directed in the tangential direction from the circle. This causes the 6th axis of the robot to perform a full 360deg turn as it travels around the circle but this is not required and can become quite problematic.

Presently to overcome this issue i am copying the orientation from the first point and applying to the others. However, i then have to go and touch up these points so i get the right weld angles.

Does anyone have any suggestions, that would help me overcome this issue.

"Argon Technology - your industrial robotics and automation partner, helping you build your tomorrow"

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options

Hi,

Try the feature "Interpolate Path" that is available in the "Modify Path" section of the "Path" context menu, see attached picture.

2008-06-03_113541_InterpolatePath.zip

First, define the orientation of the start and end points, then the orientation of the intermediate points will be interpolated, see help:

The Interpolate Path dialog box
    Overview The interpolate functions reorient the targets in a path so that the difference in orientation between the start and end targets is distributed evenly among the targets in between. The interpolation can be either linear or absolute.
    The Interpolate Path dialog box The table below describes the contents of the Interpolate Path dialog box.
    Object Description
    TheInterpolation type options Select whether to interpolate Linear or Absolute with these options.Linear interpolation distributes the difference in orientation evenly, based on the targets' positions along the length of the path. Absolute interpolation distributes the difference in orientation evenly, based on the targets' sequence in the path.For information about the interpolation methods, see Linear versus absolute interpolation .
    The Interpolate entire path option Select this option to reorient all targets between the first target and the last target in the path.
    The Select Start/End option Select this option to reorient only a part of the path, then specify the start and end targets for the reorientation below.
    The Start target list If the option Select start/end is used, select the start target for the interpolation in this list.
    The End target list If the option Select start/end is used, select the end target for the interpolation in this list.
    The Lock Axis orientation options Optionally, select an axis to not change the orientation around here.
    Henrik Berlin2008-6-3 11:40:47
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Cole
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Henrik,
    I have been using interpolate as well, however this does not guarantee that the points between the start and end points keep the welding nozzle(tool z axis) at specific angles to the edges of the circle.

....hmm maybe i should just use the Lock Axis orientation while interpolating.

"Argon Technology - your industrial robotics and automation partner, helping you build your tomorrow"
  • G'day Cole, 
    Did you ever sort out this issue?  I am trying to set a path for welding pipe to a flat surface, but I am having the same trouble, i.e. I have to modify the angle of the torch in every position.  I do not have arcweld powerpac though - is this worth getting?

Cheers Chris
  • Cole
    Options
    I never really got to what i wanted to achieve with this. It felt as if i was always fighting against the system and gave up. However this is only for plug welding situations, external pipe welding to flat surface it would be great for.

ArcWeld Powerpac can be very efficient in programming paths from shapes and ensuring torch angles are fixed from geometry. I recommend it. However, I have not used it for a while as i have not built a system that has required it. So i would assume that it has upgraded since i last used it.

Hope you have some success.

• Hello Cole,

I think you can use target align. Multiselect process targets in AWPP, right click, modify and use the function align tool-x with selected tool-x.

BR / Andersson

• Cole
    Options
    Thanks BR / Andersson,
    I will keep this in mind the next time i have this type of application.

• Thanks for the advice! Cheers