RobotStudio event

Service Port Connection

Options

I am seeing the following error when I try and connect to my controller with RS online.

"No controller found on Service Port. Please wait a few seconds and click retry.  Click Cancel to abort."

The version running in the controller and installed on my PC is 5.10.147.0.  I am able to ping the address 192.168.125.1 and get a reply but I am still seeing this error.  I am also able to connect using a different laptop so that would lead me to believe that the controller is fine but there's a bug with the software on my PC.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the RS online and Robotware softwares but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• RussD
    Options

What is your PC IP address when you are trying to connect?

Are you using a cross-over cable to connect to the service port?

Do you have a firewall installed? If so, you may need to disable it or set up exceptions to allow connections to be made.

Can you connect via FTP to the controller?

Russell Drown
  • dear Bill,

today I got a problem same with you. I can't connect to the controller, I also ping and success, but when I wan't to see the parameter and the program, download my program, it can't.

I try to remove all things about ABB Industrial IT ( RobotWare, RSO, RAB, and other) and then I restart my PC, and install all of it again. And it's work again. May you can connect again with your controller.

carmila

indah carmila
  • [QUOTE=RussD]

What is your PC IP address when you are trying to connect?

Are you using a cross-over cable to connect to the service port?

Do you have a firewall installed? If so, you may need to disable it or set up exceptions to allow connections to be made.

Can you connect via FTP to the controller?

[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Only Windows firewall but I have it turned off.

Yes, but all I can see is the 'user.sys' file.

• RussD
    Options

I agree that the problem resides on your PC. Are you entering the IP manually? If so, change you network interface to use DHCP and try again.

When you are trying to connect to the Robot, look in the Task Manager>Processes list and verify that the processes RobCOmCtrlServer.exe and RobNetScanHost.exe are running. If not, there is probably something wrong with your RobotStudio Online installation, because these services should be started by trying to connect to the robot.

If they are running but you cannot connect, then something may preventing access to the network ports that RSO uses to talk to the robot. You can download MS PortQuery and run it from your PC to test this.

You should check to see if you can contact 192.168.125.1 over ports 5514 and 5515. The tool output should look like this:

C:PortQryV2>portqry -n 192.168.125.1 -e 5515 -p both

Querying target system called:

Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...

Failed to resolve IP address to name

querying...

TCP port 5515 (unknown service): LISTENING

UDP port 5515 (unknown service): NOT LISTENING

C:PortQryV2>portqry -n 192.168.125.1 -e 5514 -p both

Querying target system called:

Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...

Failed to resolve IP address to name

querying...

TCP port 5514 (unknown service): NOT LISTENING

UDP port 5514 (unknown service): LISTENING or FILTERED

If the output from your machine doesn't match the above, then something on your PC (VirusScan software perhaps? sometimes these have firewalls built in) is blocking these ports, which is what RSO uses to establish and respond to a connection to the robot controller.

RussD2008-8-12 19:7:58
    Russell Drown
  • The service RobNetScanHost is running but RobCOmCtrlServer is not running. 

I have uninstalled all ABB softwares and then reinstalled my RS Online and Robotware and it is still not running.

• I went into my 'service manager' and changed the startup type from ABB Industrial IT Robot Communication Server to Automatic and after rebooting my PC it is now running.

I tried the 'Port Query' tool and I receive the same results as you except for 'UDP port 5515'.  I receive:

UDP port 5515 (unknown service): LISTENING or FILTERED

Is this an indication of a firewall?

• RussD
    Options

Actually I misspoke slightly about the service startup sequence. NetScanHost will start when you open the controller browser, RobComCtrlServer will start when a connection is established to a robot. The port information is correct however, regardless if these processes are running or not.

What is the status for 5515 TCP? According to the RSO documentation, it must be able to listen on that that port.

RussD2008-8-12 21:5:20
    Russell Drown