RobotStudio event

Programming Question

Options

I can do basic programming and editing of programs using the tesch pendant or a text editor. Our applications have the robots loading pieces into a mold on large extrusion machines. If the robot faults out, it can cause quite a mess.

I am looking at how to build in an auto recovery system.routine that would pull the robot out of the machine automatically. I think I can work my way through the actual program as far as how to move the robot out. What I can't figure out is what I am going to use to invoke the recovery routine. I was thinking about using a timer, and if it exceeded a set number then the robot needed to come out. I keep seeing references to error handling but I don't understand them well enough to know if they are my answer.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• If the robot stops for some reason such as an error, then the rapid task that was running cannot be used to recover from the error since by definition it has stopped. You would need either a background task or a PLC to monitor the status, recover from the error, restart the robot and handshake any special behaviour.

Michael Siminski
    Technical Support Engineer
    Robotics Product & Systems Service
    Manufacturing Automation, Automation Technologies (ATMA)
    ABB Australia
    Email: michael.siminski @ au.abb.com
  • Rookie
    Options
     See if your robot has multitasking. If the error appears and the robot stops, the foreground task is stopped, but the background task is still running. From the background you can restart the robot and bring it into safe position again. 
    If a plc is controlling the robot, you can check if the program is running. If not, the plc can restart it again.