RobotStudio event

RS 5.11/5.12 in windows 64-bit

Options
Hi,

has anyone practical experiences with RS 5.11 or 5.12 based in windows 64-bit operating systems like XP 64-bit  or vista business 64-bit ?

In the release notes i can read:

Note: RobotStudio 5.12 does not support 64-bit editions of Windows XP Professional or Vista Business or Enterprise

But: What does this mean ? - Is the software working (without the benefits of 64-bit), or not ?

Are there problems and limitations, or not ?

Please tell me your experiences.

Thanks to all.

Klaus
Klaus Vogel
Kühne+Vogel Sondermaschinen GmbH

Comments

• Anders S
    Options
    Hi Klaus,
    We can not guarantee that RS will work correct with 64-bit OS. You may run into problem, specially with the Virtual Controller. Therefore are we not recommending 64-bit OS when you run RobotStudio.
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • kuv-vokl
    Options
    Hi Anders,
    thank you for your hints. - That is what i have expectetd.

But i want to know, if there are any experiences with it.

Has anyone installed RS 5.11 or 5.12 in 64-bit system with or without problems ?

I can not believe that i am the first user, interessting in 64-bit systems with RS.

Many thanks for further posts.

Klaus
    Klaus Vogel
    Kühne+Vogel Sondermaschinen GmbH
  • Anders,

are there any plans for Vista64bit support?

Dean.
  • I have installed it on Vista Ultimate 64 bit without any problems, I used the 30 day trial on my home computer without any problems as it was faster than my work laptop.

I did have a couple of Virtual Controller crashes, but i get plenty of those running 32 bit anyway so I didnt see any extra problems because it was 64 bit (and having 8gb memory certinaly helped)

• DanS
    Options

Anders,

What problems exist on the VC specifically?  I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit and can't seem to get a PCSDK application to work...I keep getting an error related to the ABB.Robotics.Adapters.IRC5 assembly: 
    "Could not load file or assembly 'ABB.Robotics.Adapters.IRC5'" when doing a "new NetworkScanner()".

• Hi Dan,

A .NET application will run in 64-bit mode by default, but the PCSDK
    only supports 32-bit operation. Therefore you must change the build
    settings of the .exe to target 32-bit only:

Alternatively, if you can't recompile the app:
    http://blogs.intesoft.net/post/2007/12/Running-NET-Apps-in-32-bit-mode-on-64-bit-Windows.aspx

regards,
    Johannes

Johannes Weiman2010-02-09 09:35:35
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics