RobotStudio event

Help to Debug virtual FlexPendant RAB app.

Options
Hi,
I need help with the Debugging the virtual FlexPendant procedure. I can't get to have the pointer stop on one of my break point in Visual Studio .Net 2005.  My application is runing in RobotStudio 5.11 in the FlexPendant and I call "System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Launch()" to step in the Just-In-Time debugger but I keep getting the following error :

In english, it must mean something like this : No Symbol have been loaded for a stack frame call. The source code cannot be display.

What should I do to make it work?

Here are my Visual Studio .Net 2005 Settings:

Comments

• Hi Jerome,

have you copied the .pdb file(s) as well, to the same location as the assemblies of your FlexPendant application?

If you want you can set the build output directly to your virtual system, or you have to setup post build events that copies the assemblies (and .pdb file) to the system.

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • Hi Nicklas,
    Thanks for your support. Yes I did copy the .pdb file and I'm still getting the same error (The one with the yellow triangle : "No Symbol have been loaded for a stack frame call. The source code cannot be display.").

I have installed RAB 5.12 after RAB 5.11. Is it possible that it would be the cause of the problem?

Can we have multiple RAB installed on the same PC?

Do you know what symbol Microsoft Visual Studio refer to?

Thanks,

Jerome
  • Hi again,

I dont know how familiar your are with .PDB files.

A symbol is basically another name for a declaration, like a variable. When the compiler compiles your source code its stores information about the declarations in symbols tables.

The .NET .pdb files contains information about the local varaible names and the names of the source files. (Information about other types is located in the assembly metadata, which is different from C++ where the .PDB files contained a lot more information)

The debugger needs information about the source file name in order to bring the source code up, if you hit an exception or a breakpoint for example.

Now the problem seems to be that the debugger can not find the correct .PDB files.

As you have noticedOuch.

Usually it works fine if the matching .dll and .pdb files are copied to the HOME directory.

Have you done the following, as described in Users Guide? 

"TIP!When using the Virtual FlexPendant for test and debug you can automate the copy/paste procedure described in step seven above. This is how you do it:
    1. Right click the project icon in the Solution Explorer and select Properties.
    2. For a C# project, select the Build Events tab. (For a VB project click the Compile tab and then the Build Events button.)
    3. Press the Edit Post-buildbutton and add two commands which will copy the produced dlls to the directory of the robot system to run. Example:
    copy "$(TargetDir)$(TargetName).dll" "C:Systemssys1"copy "$(TargetDir)$(TargetName).gtpu.dll" "C:Systemssys1"Note! Do not remove the default post build command lines, which create the assembly proxy (*gtpu.dll)."

If it still does not work can you please send a (small) project that reproduces the problem, along with information on which RAB versions you have installed, which version you have built against, etc.

Niklas Skoglund2009-09-24 07:31:35

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog

• Yes I save de DLL and PDB files in the system HOME directory and it still doesn't work. I have uploaded the sample C# code I'm trying to debug. I have RS 5.11 and RS 5.12 installed along with RAB from 5.08 to 5.12. This sample was compiled using RAB 5.11 library used with RS 5.11 FlexPendant. Can you send me pictures of your Tools/Options... the Debuging tab and the General, Just-In-Time, Modify & continue, Natif and Symboles sections so I could compare my Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2005 settings.
    Thanks

Jerome
  • Sorry here is the code : webwiz/3072/Sample_application.zip
    Jerome
  • carlosmtz2000
    Options
    Hi Jerome,

Could you check that the following:

- The RAB Assemblies' version are the same as the Robotware version of your system

- Any other referenced assembly you might be using besides the standard Msft and ABB assemblies?

BR/Carlos
    Carlos Martinez
    ABB
  • It finally worked!Smile
    I uninstalled everything and reinstalled only RW5.11, RS5.11,RAB5.11 and Visual Studio .NET 2005 (+ service packs).

Thanks everyone for your support,

Jerome