RobotStudio event

Attach a tool to a tool

Options
This might be fundamentally wrong in RobotStudio, if so pls. forgive me :-)

I would like to model our physical setup, where we have a tool (lets call it "A") attached to the Robot. To this tool we attach other tools ("X1","X2","X3" etc)

These tools do not have the same shape and tcp.  In order to simulate the physical setup is it important for me to be able to attach a tool to a tool instead of the robot.

So the chain would be "Robot" -> "A" -> "X1"

Is this possible without any "fuzz" such as creating a combined tool of both "A" & "X1" into a tool called "AX1" ?

Yours sincerely
Jes

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options
    One of the purposes of creating a library of type "Tool" is to have the tooldata automatically created in RobotStudio, when the tool is attached to the robot. So the tool is expected to be attached to a robot, and not another tool. What you could do is to define the X1 tool in relation to the robot as if it was already mounted on the "A"-tool. Then you will get the same visual result (including the tooldata) but you need to attach both tools directly to the robot.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Laro88
    Options
    That is a "near perfect" solution - except for when the fixing position is not the same for A / B.. However It will solve the problem for now....

The scenario is a little bit more complex in real life I actually also have some diffent sized / shaped spacers  attached between the robot and the tool of type "A" / "B"...

So
    Is this  functionality ( chaining of tools ) something you will consider to implement at some point in time?

• Actually there is a really simple workaround:
    1. Create an empty part
    2. Attach it to tool A
    3. Attach anything you want to the empty part!

regards,
    Johannes
    Johannes Weiman
    Software Engineer
    ABB Robotics