RobotStudio event

Socket Messaging with Robot Studio?

Options

Is it possible to use the TCP/IP Socket communication (SocketSend, SocketRecieve, etc.) commands to test my RAPID code using RobotStudio?  I would like to simulate my program and use the Ethernet port on my laptop computer to actually test the Ethernet communications (before we get the real robot controllers in). 

Thanks,

Toby

Comments

• Hi Toby,

it is possible to communicate with the Virtual Controller using socket messages.

There is no special support in RobotStudio to send the commands, so you have to use a separate client to send the commands to the VC, or write an Add-In that uses the .NET socket classes.

I have used the program "Connecting Sockets" to send socket commands to a VC on one PC, from another PC.

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • tbaumg
    Options

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Thanks for the quick response.  I just downloaded the Connecting Sockets program, I also have a LabView application I wrote a while back to transmit socket messages to/from a real robot. 

How do I setup/change the IP address of the Virtual Controller?  (I think that is my problem).  In the system info of the Virtual FlexPendant the IP settings for the LAN are all blank. 

Thanks
  • The VC has IP 127.0.0.1 as it is running on your local PC.

Try specifying that IP from the Socket program.

Best Regards, Niklas Skoglund
    ABB Robotics

Developer Center
    RobotStudio Blog
  • tbaumg
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense.  It's working now.  Thank you!