RobotStudio event

How To Creat a New Tool

Options
Hello!

I have just start learning RobotStudio and I need to build a custom tool, a gripper for example. I tried searching the web for tutorials but didn't found.
I would appreciate if I could get some useful links or advices about how to create a new tool.

Another question would be if it is possible to import a product from Delmia or Catia and use it like a tool?

Thank you!

Comments

• Anders S
    Options
    Hi,

To create a tool you should use the "Create Tool Wizard" in the Modeling tab.

In the wizard you select the part you would like to use for the tool, so if you have the Catia Cad Converter license, you can import your product from Catia and use that like a tool in RS.
    Best regards,
    Anders Spaak
    ABB Robotics
  • Laro88
    Options
    You can also open a regular sat file and define the tool based upon this.
  • creating tool means TCP u have to change default tcp to required one. for simple applications like pick and place no need to create TCP. for accuracy point of u like soldering we use TCP. for creating tcp first attact toll to robot then in flex pendent select tooldata in data types, select new, select define then teach a point with that tool with diferent orientations and modify points in fpendent accoringly, finally tool will create. see manuals in software for furthur info...  
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options

In general, you should always define your tooldata carefully, no matter the application. In offline programming, it is essential, but even if you do the program by online teaching there are two good reasons for using tooldata. First, if you need to change the tool/gripper of the robot for some reason. It might have to be replaced or you want to do a modification of the tool to improve some aspect of it. Then it might be that the TCP of the tool is different from the previous one. In this case, all you have to do is to update your tooldata in RAPID and you can start production more or less directly with your new tool. But, if you have done all your programming in tool0 you need to ModPos every point in your program that used the old tool. Second, if you decide that you want to take your online taught program and do offline modifications in RS, say. This will be very hard and not very efficient unless you have used the power of the various coordinate frames available for the IRC5 controller, i.e. baseframe, tooldata, workobject (user frame, object frame).

I would say that the coordinate system available makes the IRC5 controller outstanding in terms of offline and calibration capabilities.

Henrik Berlin2009-11-10 09:57:57
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Thanks guys. I have made my tool and put a mechanism into it! I also found a video tutorial on ABB site. I will post the link, maybe it will help somebody else,
    http://www.abb.com/product/ap/seitp327/13042a350dad0961c1257435002fe91f.aspx

Have a nice day!