RobotStudio event

How to add a paint profile on a 3D model

Options

Hello everybody!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

My name is Florin. I am student in mechanical engineering. I need some advice to develop software for a project. I should develop a painting application to integrate with robotic simulation software. I don't know how to do it. Can you tell me how can be done?

We are using "RobotStudio" to make off-line programming of robotic trajectories. For this robotic simulation, the draw of the 3-D part is created or imported as a file. To program a robot trajectory, an impact point is defined on that virtual piece at a certain distance (constat during simulation) from the robot wrist. A painting gun is attached to the robot wrist.

The problem is RobotStudio (2.1) is not able to simulate the thickness of the layer you sprayed onto the virtual part.

I was asked to add a profile of paint to this virtual robot. I have the Gaussian profiles of paint (2D) as an equation y=f(x). To obtain a 3D surface of paint, this profile should be translated simultaneously with the robot's wrist position which is changing. When the robot painting spray intersects an area of a piece, the thickness should be added to that location of the piece. When the spray jet intersects the profile again, the intersecting area of thickness should be summarized between the profiles.

I don't know how to "paste" the paint profile (virtual, of course) on the virtual piece (3D). Since the robot wrist moves with the spraying gun, the simulation should also show the evolution of painting thickness with the position of the spraying gun. I should develop a painting application to integrate with RobotStudio. How it can be done? Any exact ideas? How you would do it precisely?

If you have any ideas, examples, etc. please write me if you have any idea how can this task be completed. I thank you very much!

Florin         Florin37903,4609143519

Comments

• msalminen
    Options

Hi,

I personally don't have experiences of robot painting apps. or simulation, but I know one PhD thesis which I think would be very useful for You. If You don't know it already.

Try to find following PhD thesis.

Persoons Wim. 1997. Model Based Off-line Programming of Robots. PhD Thesis. Katholieke Universitet Leuven. Belgium.

it is quite thick package of knowledge (thesis itself is about 440 pages and also have separate appendicies book).

From contents: (thesis pages from 31 to 114)

Part II: Robot spray coating
      Chapter 3: Indroduction to robot spray coating
      Chapter 4: Spray coating technology
      Chapter 5: Spray coating simulation
        5.1 Introduction
        5.2 The spray coating process
        5.3 Previous research results
        5.4 A theoretical model of the spray fan
        5.5 Experimental results
        5.6 An empirical model based on reference tests
        5.7 Second improved model
        5.8 Spray coating simulation on free-form surfaces
        5.9 Model verification
        5.10 future improvements and suggestions
        5.11 Conclusion

Also from appendicies book

Appendix C: Surface triangulation - Paint transfer efficiency
      Appendix D: Spray coating simulator

I hope this will help You.

Best regards,

Mika Salminen

• This has been done before.  Delmia's robotic package, IGRIP, has a paint module that allows you to turn the paint gun on and off, set the color, and view the results as the gun passes over the part.  I have not used it myself, but I have viewed the demos, and it looks pretty realistic.
    Jim Haglund
  • I might have an acrobat file, containing information about this subject. I'll try to look it up. In the meanwhile you really want to take a look On this site. Here you can find/read alot about painting-jobs with RobotStudio. On this site they show how they use RobotStudio to generate robot programs for painting the engine that gets Valentino Rossi around the track Cool (Loads of movies of the process can be found there too) So eat your hart out!

[edit]

drag&drop smilies and Melk seem to be a bad combination...

[/edit]

Melk38033,8589236111
    <@Logan&gt; I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
    <Beeth> And your point is?
    <@Logan&gt; I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"