RobotStudio event

A question about the Painting PowerPac [Painting PowerPac]

Options
About the Painting PowerPac, I need to "Process Workpiece" first if I want to use the Brush table functions. And the workpiece(a car roof) I imported is like below :

But after I use the "Process Workpiece"---"Break Workpiece", it changes to :

You can see that it is not a complete surface and not smooth.

Is this the normal condition or is there anything wrong with my 3D model? The roof model I import is in IGES format.

Thank you!

Comments

• Sudarshan
    Options
    Hello Linda,

As I understand from your post, you are trying to perform two tasks

1. Process the workpiece to divide it

Try to reduce the filter size in Process workpiece, maybe < 5 % along each of the X, Y & Z axis.

After processing the workpiece you can proceed to identify a Panel by collecting the small parts of the car roof & create a Path on it using Auto Paintstroke functionality.

2. Use Brush tables 

Do you mean create Brush tables ?

Creating a Brush table is independent of Processing workpiece. 

You can use the brush table in Virtual Fluid Device to get an estimate of the Paint consumption.

Please refer to Chapters 5.14 & 5.17 from the help manual of Painting powerpac on Brush tables & Virtual Fluid device

Regards

Sudarshan
  • Linda
    Options
    Hello Sudarshan,

Thanks for your reply!

About processing the workpiece, no matter how to set the filter size, the surface will still be divided into small pieces and not a smooth surface again. Even I creat a panel with these small pieces, the surface will still look like the same way, just as the pic I posted yesterday.

So is there any special requirement about the 3D model format? I use IGES normally.

And if I want to use the "Manual Stroke" or "Auto Stroke" function, I need to "Process Workpiece" first, or I can't use these two functions.

• Sudarshan
    Options
    Hello Linda,

After processing a workpiece, it is divided into smaller triangular parts of varying sizes, hence  the workpiece would not be smooth surface. Filtering the workpiece removes the smaller triangles.

It is necessary to divide the workpiece & identify Panels to use Auto paintstroke function.

How does the Path look when you use Auto Paintstroke feature ?

To use Manual PaintStroke function, it is not necessary to process the workpiece, you can directly create Paintstrokes by selecting points over the surface.

About the format of CAD model, all the formats that are supported by RobotStudio are supported by Painting Powerpac in process workpiece function, however the number of triangular surfaces created may vary depending on the format.

Could you attach the IGES model so that I can check it out ?

Regards

Sudarshan

• Linda
    Options
    Hello Sudarshan,

The path I created by the "Auto PaintStroke" is like the pic below.

It looks ok for the flat part of the roof, but a little disorderly for the edge.

And here is the 3D model for the IGES file that I used. Would you pls check it?

Thank you so much!

• Sudarshan
    Options
    Hello Linda,

Here are a few observations from the CAD model

1. After processing the CAD model, I see that it is composed of several layers of overlapping surfaces

2. I deleted some of the overlapping layers on the Roof top and on the sides and identified a Panel by selecting most of the remaining parts and created a path on them & the path looks as below

The path is created with the following parameters

Pitch 200 mm

Path Offset 100 mm

The targets are oriented such that the z-axis is pointing up, however these can be reversed by using the Flip function upon right click of the PaintL instruction

Regards

Sudarshan
  • Linda
    Options
    Hi Sudarshan,

Thanks so much for your help!

I will try this then.

• [QUOTE=Sudarshan]Hello Linda,

As I understand from your post, you are trying to perform two tasks

1. Process the workpiece to divide it

Try to reduce the filter size in Process workpiece, maybe < 5 % along each of the X, Y & Z axis.

After processing the workpiece you can proceed to identify a Panel by collecting the small parts of the car roof & create a Path on it using Auto Paintstroke functionality.

2. Use Brush tables 

Do you mean create Brush tables ?

Creating a Brush table is independent of Processing workpiece. 

You can use the brush table in Virtual Fluid Device to get an estimate of the Paint consumption.

Please refer to Chapters 5.14 & 5.17 from the help manual of Painting powerpac on Brush tables & Virtual Fluid device
    [/QUOTE]

How can i process it together?
  • what is to processed together ?
    could you give more details ?

//Sudarshan