RobotStudio event

Putting boxes into pallet

Options
Hi I am beginner in RobotStudio. I would like to build station with IRB 660 which will take boxes and put into pallet. i create system but i don't know how to realize picking boxes. Could You help me ? Thanks

Comments

• frpa
    Options
    Thread moved to the RobotStudio forum. // frpa
  • OK, I created signals for attach and dettach box and tool, but how can I add it in path ? maybe action instruction ?
  • any tips ?
  • charon
    Options
    Right click at your pick position on path window and select "add action instruction". You can select and add a SetDO method from opening drop down list.
    Erdem Karaçeper
  • Charon thanks for answer. Actually when i create signals i check 'simulation'. In Action Instruction / SetDO i have field name 'Signal' but it isn't drop down list :(. If i manually write signal name controller return fail. I don't know what to do 
  • Ok, i can't select signal in action instruction because all signals i created are 'station signal'. But it's not possible to edit signals in 'system'. Have You any suggestions ?
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options
    You need to define the signals in the controller configuration database. Then you can use the signals to define Action Instructions.

To simulate material handling you can use either of the following three concepts

1) "Realistic" simulation
    Generate objects to pick using VSTA, use the action "Attach Object" with option "find closest object" and then detach the object where ever you want to put it.

Pros and cons:
    +: Behaves as reality
    +: RAPID program will be similar/identical to production program.
    -: Requires VSTA coding

2) Pre-generate objects to pick
    Before starting the simulation, generate a number of parts to pick in one spot and use the "Attach Object" action with the option "find closest object" to pick either of them. It doesn't matter which of them that is picked since they are all identical. Beware that you stop the program after the last part is picked, eitherwise you will pick the conveyor (or whatever the parts are placed on) when there are no other objects left. Detach the object where ever you want to put it.

Pros and cons:
    +: Easy
    +: RAPID program may be similar/identical to production program.
    -: It will seem as the part remains after it is picked.

3) Show-hide 
    You can pre-create all parts in their respective positions (at gripping position, at gripper, at detach position) and change their visibility using the Event Manager:

Pros and cons:
    +: Easy
    -: For stations with many parts (such as in palletizing) you will get a laaargge Event Table since you need one I/O signal and one row in the event manager per part.
    -: RAPID program will be simulation-specific and cannot be used for production (with respect to I/O handling)

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Thanks Henrik

I tried to add signals in Configuration Editor with option 'Access To All' but then signals are disabled (silver) It is possible to add event related with signal but i can't click it, activate or deactivate.

• Henrik Berlin
    Options
    The signal "AttachBox" was incorrectly configured. See attached EIO.CFG file that you can load into your system. It contains the corrected signal.

webwiz/772/EIO.zip

The following procedure may help when configuring I/O signals in the controller
    1. Add the signal using the Configuration Editor. Ensure that you have configured a unit to map the signal to. (In your case "MyUnit").
    For use in RobotStudio it is convenient to set ACCESS LEVEL to ALL to enable the signal value to be changed from RS.
    Also, it is important to pay particular attention to the unit mapping number. It must be unique for the signal on the unit.

2. Restart the controller for the changes take effect.

3. Check for error messages in the controller event log. This is helpful for diagnosing possible faults in the configuration.

4. Browse to your signal in the "I/O System" node. If the system is correctly configured your signal shall appear here. You may need to close and reopen the window to update the window with the newly configured signal.

5. Click on the signal to change its value (applies to digital signals)

6. Open the "I/O Simulator" in RobotStudio and verify that you can change the signal value by clicking on the signal.

-> You are done!
    Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Hi ,Can you explain me ,step by step ,
    how do you create signals , and all steps for picking and placing an object ?
    Thank
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options
    Hi,

I can provide a brief description based on the concept of "pre-generating" parts to pick and place.

1. Create a station with a robot.
    2. Create the first instance of your part, and then copy it to get the number of wanted parts. (It will only appear as one in the graphics window, since they are all in the same spot).
    3. Create/load your gripped tool and attach to the robot.
    4. Load the attached EIO.cfg file that contain output signals for attach and detach and corresponding handshake input signals (optional for simulation). 
      webwiz/772/EIO_2.zip
    5. Create the robot program including the robtargets of the grip position and the detach position.
    6. Test run the program to see you got the positions correct.
    7. Add the "SetDO doAttachObject,1" after the Move instruction of the grip positions.
      NOTE: Ensure that you use a fine point for the gripping position in order to prevent the controller to run ahead and set the I/O signals before the robot is in position.
      TIP: When no handshaking is done you can use the "PulseDO" action to avoid having to reset the signal.
    8. Add an event in the Event Manager with trigger "I/O Signal changed" for signal doAttachObject and action "Attach object" with option
      "closest".
    9. Add corresponding event for detach.
    10. Test run the events using the I/O simulator
    11. Add the detach signal. "SetDO doDetachObject,1" (or PulseDO) after the move instruction for the detach position.
      TIP: Use Offs() function to compute offsets relative to a "master" target when doing palletizing. This needs to be programmed in the RAPID editor as RobotStudio has no graphical support for the Offs() instruction. But you can program using RAPID and run the simulation containing such instructions.
    12. Continue with the next part. (Do not forget to reset the signals using the "Reset" instruction unless you used the Pulse instruction)

This description hopefully provides some idea on how you can go about when creating a material handling simulation for RobotStudio.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Hi , Henrik , tanks for replay and sorry for a long delay , but I have been out for work

I have this problem.
    I have set signals , move instruction , and evnt

When the robot runs , the part , during the movement , is not near the the gripper tool .

How is the procedure to define the gripping positions ?

What means " use the fine point " ? for gripping positions.

Tanks Carlo
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options

Create a robtarget that is located in an appropriate position for the gripper to grip the part. Use the robtarget in a move instruction that has zonedata fine.

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • First of all thanks for an excellent guide Henrik=) Worked like a charm. Dunno of this is the correct thread to ask about this, but ill go for it. My problem is that the box isnt following the movement of the gripper, it doesnt turn the same, has the same position all the time. Is there a way to find out of this? And one more question is, how can i decide rotation of the gripper without jogging it? I mean with just writing it in the code.