RobotStudio event

Graphic card for RS

Options
Hi,

I'm using PC with integrated graphic card on board INTEL GMA 4500.

This chipset is enough for running RS?

If not what is min requirment for graphic? - could someone propose something?

BR

Michal

Comments

• Henrik Berlin
    Options
    Your user experience will definitely benefit from a dedicated graphics card. In the Release Notes there is a recommendation to use "High-performance DirectX 9 or OpenGL-compatible graphics card with the corresponding up-to-date drivers installed."

The better card, the faster graphics. A gaming card will give you most "bang for the buck", since they are half price or less compared to a "CAD-card". RobotStudio will not use the additional features of a "CAD-card".

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • MichalWk
    Options
    Hi,

Ok, thanks for your advise.

BR
  • Henrik Berlin
    Options

Perhaps I should clarify what I mean by "CAD-card" and "gaming card"....

There are two major players in the graphics card business, nVIDIA and ATI. ATI has the product range "ATI Radeon" for home users (=gaming) and "ATI FireGL" for professional users (=e.g. CAD). For each Radeon card of a certain model there is usually a FireGL card with the same GPU but with some additional features enabled that some CAD softwares may take advantage of. The problem is that the FireGL version is much more costly than the Radeon version. Moreover, RobotStudio will perform just as well with the Radeon version as RS does not take advantage of the additional features of the FireGL card.

The exact same reasoning holds for the other major GPU vendor nVIDIA that has the GeForce product range for home users and Quadro family of products for the professional users.

Conclusion: Buy the best ATI Radeon card or nVIDIA GeForce that your manager can afford. (If he starts to argue you can always show him the price tag of the corresponging professional card with the same GPU chip Wink. That will probably soften him a bit).

Henrik Berlin
    ABB
  • Are there any issues with robot studio using and ATI FIRE PRO V8700 graphics card with directX10.1 or OpenGL 2.1?